Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

08 XL1200C electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 XL1200C electrical problem

I wonder if someone can give me some help with a recent problem I've been experiencing with my 08 1200C Sporster.

The bike's unmodified i.e. no stage 1, just some cosmetic additions such as change of seat etc and sadly I've been unable to put 4000 miles on it so far.

A couple of months back when I went out to go for a ride after the bike had been parked in the garage for a week, the battery was flat. The tender hadnt been connected, so I connected it, but it told me the battery wouldnt take a charge. Dealers collected the bike, but after a week claimed the battery charged fine and they couldnt find any fault.

It rode back fine and to be safe I connected the tender. A week later, the battery is dead again. I purchased a new battery and changed it myself, but noticed the bike was making a strange noise while parked and switched off. It was loudest near the air cleaner and happened every 5 seconds or so. Something was definately trying to do something!

Back to the dealer again and a week later they claimed they still could find no problem and the battery was fine. However, when I went out to where the bike was parked, I noticed the run/off switch was in the run position.

For the next couple of weeks the bike gave me no problems. But when I went out to ride this morning its again making the same strange noise and wont start. On with the tender until I get home from work at which time it started fine and I took it out for a 20 mile run then back to the garage.

This is where I think I've discovered a clue to the problem. On parking up, if I leave the run/off switch in the off position everything appears fine. The red key shaped light on the speedo flashes periodically and no strange noise. However, if I move this switch to the off position then after a few seconds the red key shaoed light stops flashing and stays permenatly lit and the strange noise begins.

I feel sure something is trying to do something and is slowly draining the battery even if the tender is plugged in. My gut tells me its either a faulty run/off switch or perhaps something is wrong with the bikes alarm. However, I'm cetainly not knowledgable when it comes to these things.

The bikes warranty runs out next month (September) and I cant help feeling the dealer is well aware there is something wrong and is trying to drag things out until the warranty has expired before identifying it.

To say this is frustrating is a major understatement. It's my first Harley and this experience combined with other stories I've been hearing from other riders over here in the UK is close to putting me off the brand and trying a different make entirely.

If the information I've been able to give enables to someone to identify a known issue so I can go back to the dealer I would be extreemly grateful.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Smooth2003
5th Gear

Does your bike have a security system? I am assuming that your bike is carb vice EFI.....right?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Its a 2008 Sportster so its Fuel Injected not Carb.

It came with an alarm fiited as standard. I did notice that when I put the switch back to the run position, the front indicators flashed a couple of times, so am wondering if this was an indication perhaps the alarm system had been disingaged and possibly the problem is with the alarm system.

As I say, it came as standard with the bike, I havent paid for any additional security system.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Smooth2003
5th Gear

Interesting problem. My friend had a similar issue (strange noise when switched off) and it turned out that his electric fuel pump was (sometimes) not turning off.

My stock security system has been problematic. There have been several times in which it would not electrically disengage. I now understand why HD recommends you keep the manual entry security codes handy!!! There have been cases of the security system grounding out and causing a battery drain.

Electrical problems are the worse.......good luck!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smooth2003
Interesting problem. My friend had a similar issue (strange noise when switched off) and it turned out that his electric fuel pump was (sometimes) not turning off.

My stock security system has been problematic. There have been several times in which it would not electrically disengage. I now understand why HD recommends you keep the manual entry security codes handy!!! There have been cases of the security system grounding out and causing a battery drain.

Electrical problems are the worse.......good luck!!!
The fuel pump issue you describe would make sense. I feel sure the dealer KNOWS what the problem is and is merely trying to drag things out until the warranty has expired.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only just noticed this thread (don't usually look in the electrical, etc. bit of the forums). Did you get the problem fixed? From the description it very much sounds as though there is partial short circuit in the wiring or an electrical component has failed somewhere that is causing a leakage of current even when the ignition switch is off.

When the main ignition switch is off it should not matter which position the run/off switch is in. If moving the run/off switch causes the indicators to flash they would do so for one of two reasons. Either -

1) you rocked the bike when you flicked the switch and the alarm system is flashing the lights to warn you off; or
2) you have just shut of the electrical supply, causing the alarm to arm itself, which would indicate that before you flicked the switch the electrics on the bike were live and you were leaking current (result = flat battery)

Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bditty
Stage II

This is exactly the problem I'm having with my '07 Sporty 1200c with EFI. And I do not have an alarm system. I'll park the bike, turn everyting off, and within a couple of minutes, that noise appears. It sounds like it's coming from below the tank, and above the engine, which makes me suspect the fuel pump. It's a whirring sound, and it just sounds electrical. If I yank the ECM fuse, the noise stops. With the fuse in, the noise begins again, and before long the battery is flat. Whatever it is, it's drawing current faster than my battery tender can supply it. The battery never reaches full charge unless I yank that fuse. The Dealer has been no help. Woe is me.