Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is idle rpm adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
wglide85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is idle rpm adjustable?

2008 FLHT -- Completed a build over the winter and spoke with the dyno guy at the local Harley shop. He said the idle rpm could be adjusted down to 800 rpm. I picked up the bike after the dyno tune and the idle was still at 1000 rpm’s. When I asked about it, the service manager would not let me speak with the dyno guy and insisted the idle is not adjustable.

My question, using the Super Tuner can the idle be lowered a bit?
If so, could I set it thru my laptop?

Thanks

Last edited by wglide85; 04-14-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: year and model for question
Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason the rpm is at 1000 is it needs some rpm at idle to have enough oil pressure at idle. you can go down to 900, mine idles at 930-950, with good oil pressure at idle. The answer is yes it can be lowered, just don't go too low. It's not going to idle like a shovel or an evo. If you want that then get one of those

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
wglide85
Novice

I was only planning on lowering the rpm to 925 – 950 but figured if I asked for 800 I’d get the 950. I installed the fueling oil pump and cam plate, as I was told it produced higher pressure.

When I had the bike tuned I had requested a copy of the final custom map. I was told it stayed in the SEST. Is that true? I have reason to question some responses from the local HD. Is the cable kit what I need to connect the ECM to the computer and also to the bike (two separate cables)?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM
scarygt
Road Master

I just set mine to 950 this evening with teh SERT and i like it much better than the 1K idle. Yes the moron can change your idle.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Yes you need two cables and install the cd into the computer, you do have to buy the cables as they are extra

Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to take a thumb drive over to the shop an have them put your map on it. Without a copy of your map to open with the super tuner software, all you can do is load a basic map to the ecm to change idle. You need the map they made for your bike, later down they rode you may need to reinstall the map they made. Without it you will be paying for a new dyno tune.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RA51
You need to take a thumb drive over to the shop an have them put your map on it. Without a copy of your map to open with the super tuner software, all you can do is load a basic map to the ecm to change idle. You need the map they made for your bike, later down they rode you may need to reinstall the map they made. Without it you will be paying for a new dyno tune.
Good point, forgot someone else tuned the bike.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 AM
soundman
Road Captain

My dealer didn't want to give me the map that they created. I bought the cd and the cables from them and had to sign a waiver that if they had to ever re-tune the bike it was at my cost. Don't reckon it would be a problem if the bike wasn't under warantee anymore though.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a PCIII ..does anyone know if it gives me the flexibility to lower my Idle and if so how is it done...

Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can adjust the idle down to 800 rpm, that seems to be the bottom limit. Of course you will get all kinds of advise such as "when you are ideling at traffic lights your battery will dies because you aren't ideling fast enough to keep it charged", or "your engine will self destruct becuase the oil pressure will be too low".

I've had my idle set at 800 for a while.

Quick Reply: Is idle rpm adjustable?