Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Road king FLHRCI 98 -ENGINE STOP WHEN Heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM
theoanast
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Road king FLHRCI 98 -ENGINE STOP WHEN Heating

Please can someone help me ? my bike is 1 month at harley service and can not find a solution

problem is : when start's engine its ok after warm 140 degrees its stop engine.

i am living in europe and especially in athens Greece .Local harley service have changed everything like:
1. induction module

2. fuel pump

3.ignition coil( dual spark coil)

4.wirring harness

5. electronic module

6. sensor engine temperature

7.sensor crankshaft position

all above new genuie harley parts

the proble remain after engine heating 140 degrees engine stop.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE I PUT MY HANDS UP.....
i am thinking also to chage the barometric presure sensor ...anyway what other to fix my problem

harley dealer here in athens greece till today can not give me solution...

i will appreciate your help

thank you for the hospitality

theodore

Old 07-21-2010, 01:32 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does it stop? Like you hit the kill switch or like you ran out of gas? I assume that's 140C, not 140C so about 280F which is a high temp, but not excessive. How are the spark plugs? If they have a glassy brown deposit on it than that melts at higher temps and conducts electricity so your spark plugs effective short out. Does it start running rough before dieing?

It takes three things to go boom, air, fuel and spark. So if it stops going boom you lost one or more of those. Electronics would be the most likely with temp, repeatedable, predictable and as though you just hit the kill switch. One thing you could try is keeping a fan trained on specific parts to find where the heat causes the problem. The more you can isolate what you're cooling the better. Left versus right, front versus rear. Start broadly to get a rough idea where then try to narrow it down. That's assuming it is actually temperature related and not just happens to be the length of time it takes to hit that temp.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Snap96
Advanced

Electrical problems will drive you crazy and can get quite expensive if you just throw parts at it which it looks like you did already. You could look at the ignition switch, circuit breakers, igntion module, sensors. Could also be a loose wire, bad battery that doesn't charge, voltage regulator, and on and on

My bike was serviced for the exact same problem not too long ago...when it got to a certain temp the ignition module stopped working and the bike died like someone hit the kill switch. Replaced the ignition module and now runs like new.

Best of luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
theoanast
Stage III
Default road king problem

dear friend ,,thank you for your help anyway. My bike after heating it stop like run out of gas .i switch off and after one minute i start engine and few minutes after engine stop again . spark plugs already changed. no problem with the regulator it work perfect

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 AM
theoanast
Stage III

my friend thank you but all parts are new i replaced all of them and are in the correct position realy electrical problems will drive me crazy and the official dealer cant fix the problem that is the more important

Originally Posted by Snap96
Electrical problems will drive you crazy and can get quite expensive if you just throw parts at it which it looks like you did already. You could look at the ignition switch, circuit breakers, igntion module, sensors. Could also be a loose wire, bad battery that doesn't charge, voltage regulator, and on and on

My bike was serviced for the exact same problem not too long ago...when it got to a certain temp the ignition module stopped working and the bike died like someone hit the kill switch. Replaced the ignition module and now runs like new.

Best of luck.