Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Exhaust Y-pipe crack/ Glowing Red hot!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:12 PM
DC Classic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Y-pipe crack/ Glowing Red hot!

I have a 2005 EG Classic, 88c.i., Stage 1, w/ V&H Oval Slip Ons. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a crack in the original exhaust Y-pipe on the right side (the exhaust outlet at the top, rear jug). I suspected that the cause of the crack was excessive heat. (note: engine temp gauge has never gone above 280 degrees while practicing slow cone courses). It's still under warranty, so I had the dealer replace the Y-pipe yesterday during 10,000 mile service. I rode the bike the following night and noticed that the new Y-pipe is glowing red hot! [:@] The original Y-pipe never glowed red.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Could it be glowing red because of the materials used in the new Y-pipe? Could it be that the motor is running too lean? I've got questions....anyone have answers? ...lol

Old 09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Y-pipe crack/ Glowing Red hot!

My 07 did this the first night I rode it. Scared the hell out of me, it I would have poked it I'm sure the metal would deform.. Anyway Dealer says not to worry temp on the heat is 240 + and the chrome is burning off. I havnt noticed lately.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you maybe let it sit to look at it since you were concerned about there being a heat problem?
My Softail glows if it sits for more than about a minute. You can see the red reflection from behind the heat shields in the oil bag.
If its in my garage, it gives off a decent amount of light!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:20 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glowing is very common, especially when you sit and stare at them and forget that you are looking at the actual exhaust pipe, not the 2nd layer of a dual wall pipe. They need air flow to cool, but often times glow on the highway. i cannot count the # of y-pipes I have seen cracked on my fingers and toes and my dogs fingers and toes.