Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:56 AM
sdwold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
Thought I would post this since it contradicts alot of what some people have posted on here.

Jamie has posted that IN this thread. and keep in mind this thread is a mix of all different years of bikes.
I understand that Sam, just when people try to make a suggestion to another member they need to keep in mind what the asking member is riding and answer accordingly. Ride safe...

Old 09-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have read through most of this thread a few times (still overwhelmed) and Ive had some great help so far.

My question is will the ecm change anything on the maps by itself? I loaded a map a few days ago and the map that I loaded is now different than before. There are subtle changes to the map and I did not run autotune on it yet. I did do a VERY short datalog but that was it.
Under Airflow the Throttle Blade Control changed from 3.0 in the 2.5 column to 2.5;
the front and rear VE tables changed slightl.

I didn't think that the ecm would make changes to these things (or maybe I missed something.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:57 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Use your gauge settings.
With the PV mounted to the bike hit the data icon and then gauges.
After you set up your gauges there is a button at the bottom right of the screen that says "start log", the little window on the bottom left it will show you the log file number and memory remaining.

Like I mentioned in a prior post, Autotune is used to set VEs, once your VEs are set you can fatten up the fuel and start riding the bike like you normally would. Data logging is only used to show you where to make adjustments to fix any concerns.
At least that's how I do it using autotune basic, maybe someone with a better method will chime in.

When running a data log ride the bike and try to duplicate the concern that you want to address.
In my case I've had to deal with pinging under load, so I would ride my bike up a steep grade while logging.
The bike would ping, I'd capture the data and load the log file on to my computer and make any adjustments in the tune manually.

When I view the data log using Excel on my computer I get these parameters.

Time
IAT
Kpa
RPMs
Knock Retard Rear
Head temp
Knock Retard Front
AFR
Spark adv F
Spark adv R
Throttle pos.
Vehicle speed

I'm sure I could change those if I wanted.
Thank you for the reply. But, how do I set up my gauges. Every time I go into that area while riding it doesn't show me anything active. I can see the different gauges but there isn't any changing data in those windows except for my trip ones. I have never set up any of the gauges because I have no idea how to I just thought they would work. It auto tunes fine but no active gauges

Old 09-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
I have read through most of this thread a few times (still overwhelmed) and Ive had some great help so far.

My question is will the ecm change anything on the maps by itself? I loaded a map a few days ago and the map that I loaded is now different than before. There are subtle changes to the map and I did not run autotune on it yet. I did do a VERY short datalog but that was it.
Under Airflow the Throttle Blade Control changed from 3.0 in the 2.5 column to 2.5;
the front and rear VE tables changed slightl.

I didn't think that the ecm would make changes to these things (or maybe I missed something.

I'm not sure about the throttle blade control, but as far as the VEs changing by a few tenths, that's normal. For some reason the ECU likes certain numbers and not others. Rounding errors maybe? I dunno. But like I said it's only a few tenths difference so it doesn't change anything.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Haha. Just figured it out. I am still learning this awesome tool

Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwold
I understand that Sam, just when people try to make a suggestion to another member they need to keep in mind what the asking member is riding and answer accordingly. Ride safe...

Got it I know what you mean.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Thank you for the reply. But, how do I set up my gauges. Every time I go into that area while riding it doesn't show me anything active. I can see the different gauges but there isn't any changing data in those windows except for my trip ones. I have never set up any of the gauges because I have no idea how to I just thought they would work. It auto tunes fine but no active gauges
Place your finger on one of the gauge windows and hold it there for a few moments, the PV will bring you to a data menu and you pick what data item you want in that cell.
You also have to pick a dark color so you can read it.

I have 6 settings on my PV as follows... IAT RPM TEMP KPA KnockF KnockR

When I data log I use this screen so I can see what the bike is doing at a glance.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Ah Jim, your not-so-subtle, patronizing responses always amuse me.
i wasn't trying to be subtle. I was trying to get you to realize that you NOTHING valid to compare anything to.You're just chasing your tail with that theory. Have someone tune it up for you and then you'll know.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JustDave13
I was looking at your deltas, you're pulling timing in a very wide area, when I pull timing for pings I do it in a very precise area, usually right before where the ping took place.

An Example would be my rear cylinder, the ecm will pull -5 degrees of timing at 58kpa 2800 rpm so that's the area that I hit (50kpa 2750rpm). I'll blend the surrounding areas by a few degrees just for a smooth transition.

Looking at your deltas you seem to be blanketing whole entire areas.

If you go back a few pages you can download the tune I'm working with, not to use (unless you want to) but to give you an idea on what I did with the timing.

Here's the current tune I'm using now https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkosgfpjbt...91514.pvt?dl=0
I still have some adjustments to make but it's just about finished.
You're doing it correctly. This software and data speed will always put the ping prior to where it was recorded. Sometimes it's just a cat and mouse game finding that exact spot.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 AM
sdwold
Intermediate

Why if my Speedometer is correct, is my odometer off by half a tenth per mile? Every 20 miles I gain a mile that I never rode. Is there something in the power vision that would fix this? Like maybe gear ratio settings? This may seem trivial to some but when I reach the 20,000 mile mark, the bike will read 21,000. That's not trivial. This is checked with 2 GPS's and the mile marker system on the interstates.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread