Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:48 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tstroud
That is what I plan on doing today if I get a chance.
I suppose I would want to label the current tune as a hot weather tune and create a new cold weather tune.
Should I start creating my cold weather tune from my current tune or go back to the dynojet canned tune I began tuning with?
Start with your current tune, it should be closest to what you need.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default timing

I have been doing some log tuning to try and dial in my timing.
I added 3 degrees across the board and logtuned. It didn't pull any timing anywhere so I added 2 more degrees and log tuned again. This time it pulledfrom .25 to 1.79 degrees timing out of 15 cells in the front and .29 to 1.08 degrees in the rear on 2 cells. I plan on adding 2 more degrees and tuning again.
Am I on the right track?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
tstroud
Tourer

Right now I am adding timing to the cells that are not getting knock hits.
The bike seems to be running quieter and it is cooler as I add more timing.
There is not more or less vibrations and it feels like it has more torque (but that might just be in my head). Once I get the timing curve figured out I plan to pull it back 3 degrees for safety, but how much is too much timing?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Right now I am adding timing to the cells that are not getting knock hits.
The bike seems to be running quieter and it is cooler as I add more timing.
There is not more or less vibrations and it feels like it has more torque (but that might just be in my head). Once I get the timing curve figured out I plan to pull it back 3 degrees for safety, but how much is too much timing?
I did the same thing to you and thought I had an aggressive timing until I saw this post

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...31-pv-map.html

I downloaded the map and looked at the timing table, it looks pretty sweet, definitely very aggressive and the graph definitely looks very very smooth without peaks and valleys, after seeing this my previous timing table looks weak with lots of peaks and valleys.....I copy and pasted the timing table to my map just an hour ago and planning to test it out tomorrow. I think this timing table will be a very good baseline to fine tune with log tuner....

Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 PM
tstroud
Tourer

Thanks, I will looked at it for reference but I think I will create my own map. Besides I now see it looks like that is a FuelMoto map and since I didn't buy from them I won't use their data.
I didn't know about FM when I bought my PV from a local DynoJet shop. If I would known about them and their services I would have bought from them.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks, I will looked at it for reference but I think I will create my own map. Besides I now see it looks like that is a FuelMoto map and since I didn't buy from them I won't use their data.
I didn't know about FM when I bought my PV from a local DynoJet shop. If I would known about them and their services I would have bought from them.
What you'll find out is that the map you get off the Dynojet site is as good a place as any to start your "journey" into tuning your bike with the the PV.

The basic model is to tweak your tune using Autotune to get the VEs correct. Getting the VE tables correct you can then make the decision to richen the AFR table out of the closed loop mode and into the open loop mode.

If you want to also tweak your timing, there are two methods.. first method that is recommended by many is to use a different program called Log Tuner, which will log your bikes tune while you ride it, and then this gets fed to WinPV to build a new timing map.

Second model is to actually use WinPV and Autotune for timing, but that comes after getting the VEs correct.

this thread is giant and out of control, but start at post number 300 and you can read more than you'll ever want to know.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-by-admin.html

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM
tstroud
Tourer

Thanks oldhippie for the condensed version.
I did start with the dynojet map that was closest to my setup and did about 10 auto tune sessions to get the VE's dialed in. I smoothed out some hot spots in the VE's during the sessions. Then I have been using log tuner to tweak the timing. I have been adding timing and watching where it pulls timing back out. Maybe it is the cold weather mixed with the premium fuel but I have never heard and pinging and I am pushing 54 degrees timing in some areas and it is not pulling any out of those areas yet. I am afraid I am getting too high and am cautious about adding any more timing. So far the bike likes it and temps are going down, throttle response is up, mileage is up and the handle bars are still smooth.

Yes this giant thread is out of control. I have been copying and pasting the relevant things I have found into a document but it is up to 8 pages now and also getting out of control.

There is a lot to learn here and I am working my way through it. I wish I had started a month earlier as it is only getting up to the 50's in the day now.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks oldhippie for the condensed version.
I did start with the dynojet map that was closest to my setup and did about 10 auto tune sessions to get the VE's dialed in. I smoothed out some hot spots in the VE's during the sessions. Then I have been using log tuner to tweak the timing. I have been adding timing and watching where it pulls timing back out. Maybe it is the cold weather mixed with the premium fuel but I have never heard and pinging and I am pushing 54 degrees timing in some areas and it is not pulling any out of those areas yet. I am afraid I am getting too high and am cautious about adding any more timing. So far the bike likes it and temps are going down, throttle response is up, mileage is up and the handle bars are still smooth.

Yes this giant thread is out of control. I have been copying and pasting the relevant things I have found into a document but it is up to 8 pages now and also getting out of control.

There is a lot to learn here and I am working my way through it. I wish I had started a month earlier as it is only getting up to the 50's in the day now.
54 deg. does sound aggressive. I thought mine was a bit aggressive at 45 deg., but that was a warm weather map. Unable to ride right now, so won't be doing a cool weather map any time soon. I only use premium fuel.

I you have no ping and knock control is not (very) active...you should be OK.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
tstroud
Tourer

Maybe I am not hitting the 54 degree cells enough when I am logging. I will try to pay more attention to hitting those cells next time as they are outside of my normal riding range.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM
tstroud
Tourer

Went out and logtuned again. I setup my gauges to show TP, RPM, MAP and temp. I made sure to hit the cells a lot that had a lot of timing and it pulled a bunch of timing out of them.
I'll keep working on the timing map.
I don't know why the dynojet map had so much timing in that one area but it is smoothing out with logtuner. Seems to run better each time.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread