Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Truth about Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 AM
97WG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth about Tuners

Here it goes, I want to install SE255 cams in my 2011 Limited, so I need a tuner. I am looking for a tuner that will be installed by a dealer or independent Tuner, I don't care about price, I want a tuner that will get the most performance of of my Bike, but I also want something that can be installed and I do not have to keep tinkering with, I want to ride, not wrench. All the Harley dealers that I have been to suggest the SEPST, Whenever I inquiry about one with autotune, they suggest against it, saying everybody has nothing but problems with them, is this true or is it because they want to sell the SEPST. I am interested in the ThunderMax With Autotune, when asking two Performance dealers, (not Harley Dealers) about the ThunderMax, they advised against it because nothing but problems and it never reaches optimum performance because it is always adjusting itself, I thought that was the way it got optimum performance by doing just that. How can someone find out which is actually a better tuner, or which tuner will give the most benefit, not recommended because it the model they sell or because it's cheaper than the other one.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I would find the tuner you plan on using first, then purchasing whatever tuner he is most comfortable using. I personally don't care for autotune, for a couple reasons. 1, it is still recommended by the manufactureres of them to have your bike dyno tuned before using the autotune feature, but 2nd, if your bike is self adjusting it might make an adjustment for a problem you are having, then you wouldn't know the symptons and the problem could get worse. Like a leaky intake seal, The autotune would just throw more fuel to compensate for the lean conditions caused by the seal leaking. you may never know you had a problem.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would find the tuner you plan on using first, then purchasing whatever tuner he is most comfortable using.
The best advice you will ever get.

But first, find a local tuner with a reputation, not just any ol' tuner.
Find one that folks rave about.
Then ask which unit he prefers, and why. No need to have him adjusting a unit that he isn't fond of.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Then ask which unit he prefers, and why. No need to have him adjusting a unit that he isn't fond of.
+1

Old 03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

+2 while I prefer the TTS Mastertune system I would do my homework and find a good tuning pro.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:00 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
+2 while I prefer the TTS Mastertune system I would do my homework and find a good tuning pro.
And its doubtful you'll find him at the Harley Dealer.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out fuelmotto. They have different tuners and costumer service is great. I just got the new Power Vision and my bike runs better than it ever has.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the Thundermax last year and you are right I was always tinkering with it.It never did run quite right.It seemed like it would adjust itself til it ran like crap.
I put the stock ecm back in and bought a SEPST.Loaded a base map and it runs better than it ever has.Decel popping is gone.I haven't done any smart tunes yet,so we will see how that works out.Have only road about 20 miles and it's still cold out,but so far I like it.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
1, it is still recommended by the manufactureres of them to have your bike dyno tuned before using the autotune feature....
I haven't seen anything in DynoJet literature or forum discussions that the PCV-AT should have a dyno-tune prior to installing. On that system if you can get a map that provides close spark-advance tables the system will auto-tune AFR's with map you install, even one with zeroed values in the Fuel Adj. tables. I'm not doubting that you've seen such a recommendation from DynoJet, but would like to read then entire text if you could provide a link. Perhaps you are referring to the need to establish good spark-advance tables first, which is true.

OTOH I have heard that ThunderMax requires a close map to auto-tune effectively, but I never thought of this as being something as close as a dyno-tune. I have no experience with T'Max but also understand the TBW versions are much better in some areas than the older versions. For the older versions there were issues with spark advance and the lack of knock sensing.

...but 2nd, if your bike is self adjusting it might make an adjustment for a problem you are having, then you wouldn't know the symptons and the problem could get worse. Like a leaky intake seal, The autotune would just throw more fuel to compensate for the lean conditions caused by the seal leaking. you may never know you had a problem.
This is true, but you would see the inconsistency between cylinders in the trim table. If both are leaking, to use that example, you would see an abnormally rich trim value in areas that produce high vacuum levels. Instead of a seat-of-the-pants approach to diagnosing some problems you could see them on your computer.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I haven't seen anything in DynoJet literature or forum discussions that the PCV-AT should have a dyno-tune prior to installing. On that system if you can get a map that provides close spark-advance tables the system will auto-tune AFR's with map you install, even one with zeroed values in the Fuel Adj. tables. I'm not doubting that you've seen such a recommendation from DynoJet, but would like to read then entire text if you could provide a link. Perhaps you are referring to the need to establish good spark-advance tables first, which is true.
I have never seen it in print neither. I called tech support at dynojet and was chatting with them. They are the ones that told me that. Like I said, they didn't say it was a must do, but they recommend that you start with a tuned MAP. I know i've heard it or read it about the T-max as well. But it's been so long ago that I couldn't tell you where.

This is true, but you would see the inconsistency between cylinders in the trim table. If both are leaking, to use that example, you would see an abnormally rich trim value in areas that produce high vacuum levels. Instead of a seat-of-the-pants approach to diagnosing some problems you could see them on your computer.
I agree with you 100%, but you are assuming that people look at their trims. How many actually plug it in after they have it running good? I bet not many. You are the exeption, but then again, you enojoy the process. The majority of the people that are using autotune are probably using it because they don't want to pay for a tune or don't have a reputable tuning center near them. Not because they want to learn about the whole tuning process.

Quick Reply: Truth about Tuners