Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 wide glide engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
mebe007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 wide glide engine light issue

ok traded an r1 today for a 99 wide glide. i am extremely happy with the trade except for one issue. randomly while riding down the road the engine light will come on and some 5-15 min later it will go out. sometimes when this happens it seems to maybe have a slight misfire but i am not quite sure. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

This is probably no help but a friend has the exact same problem for the last 2 years with his 99 DWG. He says he can tell when the light is going to come on because it will start missing and bingo, light. After many trips to the dealer they keep telling him the code is for a speedo over volt thing. Never actually got the code # or exact definition of the cade and never work on his bike. This is only a reference as being a coincidence.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

is bike fuel injected?
have you read any codes thru speedo?
*engine light on and then off most times signals a 'history' code..something happened to trigger the light at some point.
try to read codes yourself..could be nothing like a backfire or maybe a lean condition if it is fuel injected and slip on pipes changed/drilled or aircleaner changed and bike is really lean because of no fuel management

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
mebe007
Cruiser

its a 99 and it is carb'd. if someone can explain reading codes i can check them. it has aftermarket pipes but stock filter. previous owner said he thought it was because of the cold weather but i am unsure.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
mebe007
Cruiser

anyone else possibly know anything about this issue?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scanilyzer codes

Just off-hand, I would check the W/BLK and PINK wire connections at the coil. However, the following is how to access the speedometer self-diagnosis; codes are available on the forum or post it & I'll look up.

A) Engine Light function: Normal operation=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out if no present DTC. DTC in History=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out, then comes on for eight seconds, then goes out. Current DTC=Engine light stays on after IGN SW on indicating current fault (note: some codes will only trip at engine run such as CKP)

B) The ECM is capable of displaying scanilyzer DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). The scanilyzer is the diagnostic tool used at the dealer to troubleshoot the electrical system (similar to the digital technician for '03 and up bikes but less "versatile").

C) Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing
speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to RUN {although my '01 XL will enter mode either way!}.
2- Push odometer reset button in & hold while turning ignition switch to ON. Background lighting for the odometer should illuminate, speedometer needle MAY sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) MAY illuminate. "MAY" meaning not to worry if it doesn't (some do, some don't) but you will hear a "buzz" from the speedo in any case. The word “diag” should then appear.
4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "d01clr"
if no code is present or "D01" and a two-digit number for a code present such as "d0153" for the ECM re-flash error for example.
5 - Write down on paper any codes then press and hold the odometer reset button to clear{*see NOTE2 below}.
6-Press odometer reset to go to "d02" and repeat. There is 11 different codes (d01-11) which do not correspond to any particular component; this is just a list of any codes stored. The two-digit code as described will correspond to a particular problem is all. A code for a particular component does not even necesarily mean the component is BAD but that further diagnosis is warranted. Diagnosis procedures for the code will be listed in the Electrical Diagnosis Manual for the model/year of your bike. Last display will read "PPU" then a 5-digit number which I believe may be the ECM part number (but not 100% on this). In any case, this is not a DTC!

NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by
pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until
'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps. If the code is current it will reappear. Some codes will only trip when the bike is running, such as CKP or CMP sensors. You have to start the bike for about 30-seconds.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
mebe007
Cruiser

ok so my model had d01-d10 then it said cal 9. i had d02set d06 set and d10 set. i cleared them all but havent had a chance to ride it since i cleared them this evening. can someone please give me more info on this?
thanks in advance,
mark

Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 PM
mebe007
Cruiser

also i started and ran the bike for about 1-2 minutes and no codes reappeared. wierd thing with the light originally was it would kind of miss or hesitate then the light would throw then sometimes go out then comeback on.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "old codes" aren't my cup and wasn't even taught at MMI. The "codes" you listed aren't in any list I've seen. May be worth it to get the electrical diagnostic manual which will describe these (should get one myself for the XL) if they reappear or you get a misfire.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
mebe007
Cruiser

well everything came back yesterday after about an hour of riding. funny thing was it didn't do it until air temp dropped below 50 degrees

Quick Reply: 99 wide glide engine light issue