Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Total electrical power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM
thepimster
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total electrical power loss

While driving home today on my 2003 Ultra Classic Electra Glide, the engine suddenly stopped and the bike experienced a total electrical power loss....

I pulled over, and noticed that even the clock wasn't being displayed anymore. I turned the **** to off and back to ignition, everything came back to life, so I started her up again, and continued my commute.

A mile further down the road, the same thing happened again, but this time the re-occurrence of power took longer, several minutes. When the power came back, the clock displayed 12:00 this time, like the battery had been disconnected. Again she started without a hitch and I was able to complete the remaining 2 miles to get home.

Weather conditions were very hot, probably around 95. As I am fairly new to riding this bike I have hardly any previous experience with riding in very hot conditions. It seemed as like a thermal switch switched everything off, and when it cooled down returned to normal state.

It's kind of scary when this happens .

Anybody else had this happen, and what can I do about it, besides bringing it to the dealer soon.

Grateful in Falls Church,

Last edited by thepimster; 06-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

I'm guessing that the main circuit breaker is opening, then resetting. I've read of this with some HD models, and the fix was to replace the main breaker with a fuse. Seems I recall reading that there was a factory retrofit for those issues. If you run a search, you'll probably find more accurate information.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, you need to replace your main circuit breaker with an inline fuse. 04 and later models had an inline fuse relocated to the ride side panel due to this issue. I have a thread that talks about the year it took me to figure this out. Even if your bike shows this recall as being done you need to replace the circuit breaker.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM
thepimster
3rd Gear

Thank you gentlemen!

I think you hit it on the nose. my problems/symptoms are identical to Hx3's, as described in his topic.

I will follow up later, after doing the modifications to the circuit-breaker, but for now, I feel very positive that this will do the trick.

Thanks again.

Last edited by thepimster; 06-01-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
thepimster
3rd Gear

Update: Called local dealer and after sharing my VIN with them, found out that Safety Recall Code 0113, dated 15 April 2004 - Main Circuit Breaker replacement has been performed on my bike.

Going for the inline fuse this weekend. Is this a dealer part or something from a car parts store, and should this be a 40 amp inline fuse?

Thanks again!

Last edited by thepimster; 06-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 PM
thepimster
3rd Gear

Alright, just finished the mod as suggested above. Lots of wires under that saddle! But she still started up, and everything seemed to work as it should.

Will take her for a spin tomorrow and report back, thanks for the advice

Attached Thumbnails Total electrical power loss-img_2417.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
thepimster
3rd Gear

D-Day (+2)!

I just rode about thirty miles in 95° weather, (although the temp gauge reads 100°)

While waiting at several stoplights it became so hot, that I spontaneously started whistling a Christmas song about roasting (chest)nuts.....

Everything seems to be A OK, and life is good again.

Thanks again for the advice cjlandry & Hx3.

Last edited by thepimster; 06-08-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
mk1paggy
2nd Gear

i had this problem the other day ,but i was riding in 80f not particuly hot . i read through a lot of forums and the consensus was that it is not an over heating problem but a bad earthing problem . i took mine all apart cleaned all the earth points and as i took off the main earth lead at the frame i noticed the plastic sheath around the cable had split and started corroding so i have replaced it with new . so far no more problems.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Boston Tom MN
6th Gear

Had the same problem...mystery shutoffs....sudden eerie silence on the Wisconsin backroads with the better looking half looking at me like: "well...now what?" It did it a few times on my 98 FLHTCUI on what was supposed to be a couples' getaway on the new to us bike. Thanks to this Forum I checked...yep, had the 40 AMP original main breaker. $6.95 minus my discount at the local HD for the upgraded 50 AMP. The problem is the breaker itself is mounted directly above the rear cylinder and gets too hot just by virtue of it's location in front of the battery. Ten minute fix including removing and reinstalling the seat and we're on the road again, hopefully with the gremlin left behind on my garage workbench...
This is a great Forum, and this is an "I love you, man!" moment. Lol.