Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete power loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 PM
HOG LEG
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Complete power loss

Hi all , I have a 2000 electra glide classic. while riding yesterday, the bike shut off as if you were to turn the switch off no power at all, after sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes playing with the switch turning it on and off the power came back on I started the bike and took off The very next morning the bike did the same thing after starting the bike I was able to ride a couple hundred miles it hasn't done it since. any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help

Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM
SedonaSG
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a total power loss on an '06 Sportster I use to have. Only thing different is it never came back.

It ended up being the aftermarket battery I had completely failed and had an internal open.

Disconnect the battery and measure across the posts with a multimeter.

The following users liked this post:
HOG LEG (07-31-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts
Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2000 flhtpi...it's done this twice in the past two weeks...I replaced the main circuit breaker and cleaned up the terminals...they had a bit of corrosion on them....another thing to check that's been a known issue with our year bikes is the main wiring harness that runs down the gooseneck on the left side of bike....a few years ago I was having the same problem and come to find out there were three main wires in that loom that were on the verge of breaking....occasionally when I turned the bars it here left or right it would interrupt the flow of power...this is a common problem...had to replace the three wires...I think they were the main power wires...they were pretty thick...peel back the tape or "sleeve" if you will and run yur finger along the insulation...if it feels like there's a hard spots there it's probably on its way out...good luck...

Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Typo!! I said the wires run down the left side. ..my bad they are on the right!!

HOG LEG (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
HOG LEG
Intermediate

ok thanks I will check it out

Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes Sir, going to be a process of elimination. Battery load test, check all your grounds, battery to frame too. And if you have to keep digging, know as the bike starts getting hot, everything expands, including all your electronics. You may have a circuit board trace in the ignition or ECM that when the board heats up, the circuit trace is broken, and brakes your connection, shutting off the system. Once it cools down, the trace comes back together and works util the heat separates it, once again.

www.longrideshields.com

HOG LEG (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

1. Check and see if you have a Power Commander piggyback module. If you do, disconnect from the circuit.
2. Since you replaced the MCB, check for codes for the crank position sensor.

HOG LEG (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM
HOG LEG
Intermediate

THANK YOU, it was pretty warm this weekend if its a circuit trace what's the fix?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG LEG
THANK YOU, it was pretty warm this weekend if its a circuit trace what's the fix?
Easiest and most reliable is replace offending board. Also most expensive.
If you're lucky and can find the bad trace and are good with a soldering iron you might have some success with bridging it with solder. It does however a very delicate touch.

Quick Reply: Complete power loss