Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS vs SEPST - Software user-friendlyness

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
ColdCase says this a lot, but he never explains it. Who knows what that means.
I dunno, seems to be explained in several more comprehensive posts, perhaps a failure to communicate? Or maybe I just tend to generalize and take short when cutting to the chase, sorry.

Did wurk_wurk explain one of the SEPST miss information features well enough? If so I'll just quote him anytime I mention this feature.

Didn't you get the other more technical details from several others in the tech talk forum? Didn't they also explain its issues of recording to the VCI?

Now many here get great riding satisfaction by using the SEPST, its just that when compared to the TTS kit it takes more work and user knowledge to get as good a tune as you get with the TTS kit, even considering riding with a laptop. That was the OP question, I think.

My understanding of the power vision is that it doesn't offer breadth or depth of data collection, but for the back yard mechanic looking for a custom tune it seems to works good for riding satisfaction. Anything is dramatically better than stock, however.

I'd like to see some independent head to head comparisons between tuning products, however. I've read several TTS kit street tune vs a Dyno pro efforts, but other brands don't seem to be stepping up to the plate. Everything looks great on paper, what matters is how effective they are tuning for the street (riding satisfaction however the individual defines it) for the money and installation hassle. How effective they may be tuning a problem child (or helping you diagnose the problem) is a feature important to me. When rolled into one package for reasonable cost it gets my attention.

Later...

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-29-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdCase

My understanding of the power vision is that it doesn't offer breadth or depth of data collection, but for the back yard mechanic looking for a custom tune it seems to works good for riding satisfaction. Anything is dramatically better than stock, however.
If you used the words My experience instead of My understanding I think you would get more credibility. While I appreciate your passion for the TTS (I have one too and I really like it alot), you do not appear to have the experience to discount what the other products have to offer. In the instance of this topic I would be curious to know if you have loaded up and at least looked at the software of all three products to come to your conclusion that one is better than the other or if you read somebody else's experience and derived your own conclusion based on what you have read without hands on experience.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, and lots of good info here. The mini-monitor for the TTS is awesome, but TTS+little monitor exceeds my budget (>$500).

After all the info I've gathered, I think I'm leaning towards the SEPST for these reasons.

1.) don't need additional little monitor or strap laptop to bike to collect data.

2.) if I screw something up, worst case scenario, I can take it to the Harley shop without too much worry about finding someone who knows what they're doing.

3.) I can justify having a Screaming Eagle sissy bar badge.

4.) of either one, I'll still be having to learn the software

Seriously, from everything I've read the past couple days, it seems you can't go wrong with either SEPST or TTS.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno, seems to be explained in several more comprehensive posts, perhaps a failure to communicate? Or maybe I just tend to generalize and take short when cutting to the chase, sorry.
No, not all. You just keep making the same bizarre claims with no explanation.

Did wurk_wurk explain one of the SEPST miss information features well enough? If so I'll just quote him anytime I mention this feature.
No, he just made the same claims you always do.

Didn't you get the other more technical details from several others in the tech talk forum? Didn't they also explain its issues of recording to the VCI?
No, never any explanation. Just more claims that setting this value with the SEPST actually gives you a completely different value. Never any explanation.

Now many here get great riding satisfaction by using the SEPST, its just that when compared to the TTS kit it takes more work and user knowledge to get as good a tune as you get with the TTS kit, even considering riding with a laptop. That was the OP question, I think. .
Your opinion, I know a guy that used a TTS and his freezer died and dandelions sprung up in his yard.

User friendliness is subjective. I find the SEPST to be quite user friendly. I can if I want strap my laptop to my bike, and use a remote screen to monitor data while I ride. Not sure how safe that is.

The real difference between you and I. I won’t comment on the Power Vision because I have no experience with it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't used the PV yet but it looks surprisingly similar to the TTS. I have used the SESPT and now almost exclusively use the TTS. Just the ease of use and the way the programs work just makes my job on the dyno easier. With the TTS I can use one screen to display multiple programs at once on with a split screen. I can view Datamaster and Winpep. I can display the map and Datamaster at the same time. You can't do that with the SESPT, and that is a huge plus to be able to see the data and make adjustments to the map. Look at the screen shot and try this with the SESPT. One other thing that is a really nice feature are the 2 buttons, "reset to baseline" and "reset to original". Much easier to use than "copy and paste" when resetting a cell, row or column. Even though you need a laptop and a moniter, being able to see where, and how much data you collect when vtuning will also make your job easier. The OP asked about user friendliness and it's some of these features that IMHO put the TTS out front. On the technical side there is also a lot of things the TTS will do that the other programs don't but this is a disscussion about user friendliness. You can actually get support from the guy that invented it. Sometimes he can be a little harsh but he is passionate about his product.

Attached Thumbnails TTS vs SEPST - Software user-friendlyness-screen-view.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
I haven't used the PV yet but it looks surprisingly similar to the TTS. I have used the SESPT and now almost exclusively use the TTS. Just the ease of use and the way the programs work just makes my job on the dyno easier. With the TTS I can use one screen to display multiple programs at once on with a split screen. I can view Datamaster and Winpep. I can display the map and Datamaster at the same time. You can't do that with the SESPT, and that is a huge plus to be able to see the data and make adjustments to the map. Look at the screen shot and try this with the SESPT. One other thing that is a really nice feature are the 2 buttons, "reset to baseline" and "reset to original". Much easier to use than "copy and paste" when resetting a cell, row or column. Even though you need a laptop and a moniter, being able to see where, and how much data you collect when vtuning will also make your job easier. The OP asked about user friendliness and it's some of these features that IMHO put the TTS out front. On the technical side there is also a lot of things the TTS will do that the other programs don't but this is a disscussion about user friendliness. You can actually get support from the guy that invented it. Sometimes he can be a little harsh but he is passionate about his product.
If you don't have access to a dyno, what is your opinion? I will likely never touch a dyno... or at least, not for a long time.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

TTS. It is easy to use (once you read the directions). It also has more capabilities and will reach further into the ecm than any other tuning device on the market.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

And... please also remember that getting a GREAT tune, and the capability to get great tunes while one continues to upgrade their engine, really... has no budget amount. Either you want to do really good tunes or you are willing to 'settle' for so-so tunes.

The big BS of owning a Harley is this hidden cost of doing a simple Stage One. The tuner...

Sometimes you buy a snap on tool instead of a harbor freight tool, right? This IS one of those times. I KNOW it's about money dude... but it is also about having the best you can get ... or as time goes by... that goes south on one...

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-01-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:50 AM
breakman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 1,215 Posts

delete. I don't know how I ended up here.

Last edited by breakman; 04-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by breakman
delete. I don't know how I ended up here.
All roads lead though the great State of Alabama