Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter Solenoid won't fully engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
cuznleroy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Solenoid won't fully engage

Have 1999 Dyna Glide. When cold, pressing the starter button activates the solenoid, but not far enough to make contact. I've removed the solenoid cover, plunger and small spring. With spring removed, the plunger will push in but stops just short of making contact. A little extra push is required, 1/8" to 1/4", to contact brushes.

With starter assembled, pushing the plunger in manually will activate the starter and the motor starts. Shut down the engine and the solenoid will activate properly via starter button all day until it sits for an hour or more.

Had starter to the shop for rebuild and they said it was good. Replaced starter relay, but did not fix problem. Voltages all check good. Problem has been occuring for 5 years and with multiple batteries. Local HD shop has no idea, other than to replace Solenoid.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
cuznleroy
Stage III
Default Seriously, no ideas?

Nobody has ever experienced this and has an idea? Since this post I tried adjusting the torque on the jack shaft bolt, but didn't change anything.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you have a weak starter clutch. Some people call it a bendix. This is common for stock HD starters. See link: http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...003198&Ntk=All

Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with 95 above If you hear turning but it doesn't quite engage. I'm surprised HD didn't catch that a long time ago, and doubly surprised your starter clutch has lasted this long with continuing symptoms. So it may be something else since mine gave me only a couple of warnings before taking a total dump and was actually worse when the motor was hot, contrary to your situation..

Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

I had solenoid engagement issues and had to drop start my scoot for an entire week while on a trip with two Goldwingers. Such humiliation!

My favorite mechanic at the local stealership suggested that I put a Spyke #400117, solenoid push-button cap on the solenoid so that I would at least have a way to start the bike when the solenoid wouldn't engage. Well, since adding this cap, the solenoid has only failed to engage once, but when it happened, I just reached down, pushed the shiny chrome button, and off I went.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Replace the plunger in the solenoid, any starter shop will have one. Make sure there is not debris or corrosion causing the plunger to bind.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
cuznleroy
Stage III

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The starter clicks, and tries to engage, but never spins. Manually pushing in the solenoid will engage and spin the starter. This is not the original stock starter. Will check on the bendix. The starter and solenoid were rebuilt this past summer in an effort to correct this ongoing problem.