Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPST VCI Recording questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts
Default SEPST VCI Recording questions

I flashed the ecm last night with the stage I file for my bike. I want to connect up the vci and record some data but a couple of questions linger. I may just have information overload from all the reading lately....

IIRC you are suppose to warm the bike up before starting the recording? Yes?

Can I set it up to record, press the button before I leave and when I get to work press the button to stop the recording. Come back out several hours later and start a new recording by just pressing the black button again?
another way to ask the question.......
How long will the vci attached to the bike set for record mode stay in "standby" mode if that's the correct verbage?

Just read that if I don't press the black button before turning off the bike while recording that the recorded data will be lost. So that answers a couple of my questions below.
If your out for a ride and recording should you stop the recording if you are say running into a store for a say 1 minute? 5 minutes? 10?

Are recordings for say a normal back and forth to work ride a good recording to use or should you go out and run it through the gears for a short ride and use that data?

Thanks for the help.

Need to change my sig.. Bike info if needed.

2014 FLD103 Stage I, V&H Pro Pipe.

Last edited by Gee; 03-21-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Found an answer to part of it
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you don't push the button to stop the recording and turn off the bike you lose all data. Regardless of how far the trip or how much time. Bike should be warmed up prior to start of recording.
Once you stop the recording, it doesn't matter how long the bike is off, you will not lose the recording. The recording stays in eeprom until you download or using the software tell the VCI to delete it.

Don't over complicate a simple process. Download the updated Map to the bike. Turn off bike for 10 seconds. If you are going to do a data run, check mark the two boxes for "smart tune" and reset the learned offset.

Use the data recorded to make new VE tables and save the Map. Reload the saved map and ride or repeat the process. If the VE and map is where you want it, do a final resent of the adaptive values when saving the final map to the ECM. Then go ride.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks for the help and the reminder sometimes it is easy to over think a process when just following the steps works. Your reply helped. Going to record some data tomorrow.

One remaining question lingers. Your out for a ride and the vci is recording, say you stop for lunch, you press the button and save the data before shutting off the bike. Does the vci go into a standby mode so when you come back out an hour later you can start a new recording just by pressing the button again?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 376 Likes on 235 Posts

It is my understanding that when the ignition is keyed off, this kills the power to VCI module and to do another data run the tune file needs to be flashed in again with smart tune enabled, after loading the data from VCI to a computer (because of data limits).

Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks for the input. I slowed down and read the help file a little closer last night and from what I read it give me the indication that it is possible. Here's some of the text that point in that direction. This is from the

How to Download Recorded Data.

"NOTE:
Files must be removed from the VCI to get it out of Recording mode. If you decide to abort the process before files are completely saved to the computer's hard drive, the data files are no longer available as they are erased from the VCI"

I am going to record some data today and before I go for the "real" data run. I will test and see if i get multiple files recorded after saving and restarting the bike. If the LED is still on after pwr cycling the bike, it's still in record mode I understand. So if I hit the record button it should start a new file. They say it will not record over data already written to the vci but will stop once the buffer is full.

Getting anxious to get a good tune on the bike. Looks like a nice day out to do it. A little chilly but sunny out. Thanks again for the inputs and help.

This is nice having the tools to tune the bikes ourselves. I wonder how big of an impact these have had on the HD service dept. I prepaid for a 2 hour tune when I bought the bike. Went in yesterday got a refund and spent it in parts on the flush mount gas caps instead.....

Edit:

After recording a couple of runs today I realized my question was not all that well thought out. You can only record 15 minutes worth of data. So what would be the point of riding 10 minutes and stoping it and recording 5 more......

Last edited by Gee; 03-23-2014 at 03:18 AM.