Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 tune, MSL to Elevation detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 PM
WarBootie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 tune, MSL to Elevation detonation

I have a 11' RG 96CI. with the classic stage 1 install ( A/C, slip on's, download). 36k miles. Just moved to Canon City CO. after USMC wiped its *** with me in southern CA.

My concerns were running rich over long periods of time, vise the prior times when I was just moseying through the area for short periods of time.

CA and HD choke the **** out of all vehicles, so they run lean. I ran over the the dealer in Pueblo and asked about potential downloads etc. for altitudes. The gent stated that the only download they have for altitude is for stock bikes, not for stage 1 equipped, and he thought the bike would be fine, as did it, so run it for a couple tanks and check the plugs.

At 5500 Ft the RG runs great. Throaty. The Mrs. and i road up the Cripple Creek today and once I put a load on it at higher elevations the pinging began. I would guess at 6000 ft+.

Since I will be riding mostly at 6k+ nowadays' i need to take care of this.

The dealer wasn't much help, nor did i expect them to be, but i thought i would ask. I will go back and re-inquire…. but..

I read what i could on the inter we and did not get much more than to add a fuel management system, which i had once and removed due to the fact it was jacking with my ECM codes etc.

QUESTION: What have high altitude rider done to balance out the mixture? Im open to all suggestions. The bike just needs to run good and long.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

search the forum for xied for flash tuners etc
the download was a waste of money and the reason they could not give you another was that is the only one they have.
There are fuelers like xied that just add fuel, there are flash tuners that can adjust a variety of ECM items.
The ECM compensates for altitude, since you only pinged at altitude perhaps you got some bad gas or low octane

Old 08-17-2014, 09:36 AM
WarBootie
Tourer

Canuck. Sounds righton with the dealer. I only use the good stuff with my bikes, and am not discounting the quality of gasoline in the tank. I'll run a couple more tanks and see what happens before i go nuts chasing this.

While living in CA i pounded out many, many miles with EFI bikes and had this issue as well, typically 7k+ feet/ The ECM and the O2 sensors are very limited in the range (narrow band) for adjustment for compensation (honda, HD, etc.)… My point mentioning this is that it is a common theme with MC's and touring with me. Since I am now living the 'highlife' and not desert riding my concerns are with the bikes longterm health.

I'll pull the plugs after a couple hundred more and see what their saying. If i am running too rich, I have the Super Trap split ons with the interchangeable disc's, i can open it up that way. I may also punch out the cat's.

I'll also take your advise and look into some tuners, if the problem persists. As i stated, I had a PC4 with some extras added on about 25k miles ago and it reeked havoc with the ECM, so I yanked it all off as the bike was still in warranty.
However, I'm sure their is something that will fix the issue.

Thanks for sending the info. If you got more send it. Ride safe.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

If you are running too rich you would not be pinging. adding a fueler or tuner will both allow you to richen it up. you are most likely to be on the edge of lean (tune) combined with the gas, and ping at that elevation. others with dealer flash have adjusted to elevation. so if it is not the gas then what is left is your pipes may be too free flowing causing the lean condition. perhaps add instead of subtract a disc or two. The cat should not affect this.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
WarBootie
Tourer

SH*T. Righton. Too much reading and get criss/crossed, plus the golden bubbly goodness was flowing this weekend. Much more clear thought process this morning.

I can't imagine how I could be too lean, but worse things have happens. I''ll stick with the bad gas theory for now and, as stated, check the plugs in a few. Then check back in.

I would think removing the cats's would open it up a pit leaning it out a touch, IF, that was my goal. However after sobering up today I'm jumping back on your wagon.

Appreciate you keeping the tires on track, Brotherman. I'll check back in if the problem persists.
ride safe.

Last edited by WarBootie; 08-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by WarBootie
...I can't imagine how I could be too lean, but worse things have happens. I''ll stick with the bad gas theory for now and, as stated, check the plugs in a few....
Just stop frigging around and get some real data and KNOW instead of guessing or imagining. Until you have hard data, you'll do nothing but chase your own tail.

And you can pretty much give up on the old fashion plug reading. With modern EFI systems, you won't get accurate info. Remember, the map for idling is completely different when compared to start up, cruise, acceleration...well, I think you get the idea. Your map may be just right in the cruise range but so far off at idle that pulling plugs after a run can give you misleading info.

With that said, note ALL of an ECM's tables are based off the VE's. Until those are set and set correctly, most of the rest of the map will probably be wrong too. And no piggy-back unit or basic download will address (let along fix) inaccurate VE's.

So, keep driving yourself nuts or take a logical and proven approach to your issues. No faking it, no trick devices, just do it right and I think you'll be both surprised and happy with the end results IF it's done correctly.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
WarBootie
Tourer

PTree. You're right. I would choke on my tail if I could.

Give me bake a carburetor.

Message received.

Ride safe

Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM
wolf_59
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.independentmcshop.com
although not exactly close but give James a call, your bike just needs a good tune no download or add on device will cure what is happening.
Unless your willing to buy a tuning device like TTS or PowerVision and learn the program to tune it yourself
Haven't heard of any shops with great reputations in your area but I'm sure there is probably someone in the Springs or Denver area that could give you a quality tune.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM
WarBootie
Tourer

Righon Wolf. Thanks for the feedback.

I boogied over to a local shop in Pueblo, Steel City Bike works and discussed some options. I couldn't find anything negative about the shop, (except for one comment and it was questionable).

The owner stated what you did. However with the diverse elevations and miles I lay down, he mentioned the Thundermax autotuner, so I checked it out and decided to give it a shot. There ain't nothing cheap about anything anymore.
The most recent versions of the TMAX have been getting good words.

We'll see what happens.

Good words Gents. I appreciate it.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
wolf_59
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before making any purchase I would talk to a couple more tuning people to see what they recommend and weigh the odds
T-max - pricey replaces stock ecm
PowerVision - uses stock ecm
TTS - uses stock ecm
SEPST through Harley - uses stock ecm
Power Commander V - add on device cheaper than the rest
And many others
Best to talk to several tuners, decide which one your most comfortable with and use the tuning product that they recommend

Quick Reply: Stage 1 tune, MSL to Elevation detonation