Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

H-D SE Tuner vs V&H FB3

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D SE Tuner vs V&H FB3

Riding FLHTK 2012

V&H Power Duals, Monster Mufflers, V&H Air Cleaner

Now ready to add Tuner to help with lean running and heat.

Have been told by a few that H-D is better.

I know V&H has improved.

I am not a technical guy or a wrench.

Some good advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM
DRJ1911
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the SE tuner but I just used a FP3 on my Dyna with slipons and aircleaner and I am very happy. The FP3 is unbelievabley easy to use and takes about 5 min start to finish. The map I used runs great and really cooled my bike down and I haven't even tried the auto tune feature yet. Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I dont have any personal experience with the FP3 but the reports are that it works well. Since you are using V&H parts it should be very easy to get dialed in. The downside, from what I have read, is that the FP3 is mostly a stage 1 tuner. So if you plan on adding cams down the road it might not work out. The SE tuner is very powerful but very complex. Unless you are willing to spend a LOT of time learning how to use it stay away. It is not for beginners. Just my opinion

Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 AM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't done the installation yet, but I just got the FP3 and a set of slip ons and an air cleaner kit from LA Choppers; I'll post pics and how it all goes together.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:45 AM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't think the FP3 is compatible with the 2012 touring bikes. You should check the web site. I use the fp3 its a great product. But If I was in your shoes I would now go with the power vision with auto tune. Im not sure about the number.. Any how if you order it from fuel moto . I think if you tell them what you have on you bike, the will preload a map for you and you can just flash your bike . Then if you like you can tweak it with the auto tune. just my 2cts....swifty

Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear
Cool

Thanks for the replies!

Now I am doing more thinking.

On the one hand I am not likely to do more serious performance work, i.e., cams, bore etc. So a cheaper version (V&H correct item) could be ok. I have changed bikes every 5 years or so as I put on a fair number of KM per year.

The SE is $550 here in Ontario and the V&H is $315.

However the wrench that has always worked on my Harleys says the H-D is the best and my dealer who sells lots of V&H exhausts says they quit offering the V&H a couple of years ago because of so many problems......

I aso had the thought that V&H and V&H would be the best??

I won't be doing any tweaking myself most likely so the complexity of the SE is not a problem as I have very adequate tech to do that for me.

Dang..... seem to be leaning toward spending the extra $200 for the SE and be confident that if I do (at 72) keep this bike as my last, I can do some upgrades with the same module.

Thanks again.

I will post the decision and results when they happen.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:56 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the new FuelPak 3 will work on your bike and you have a smartphone, go with that. The older model FuelPak they are referring to works good as well, just not nearly as well as the new model.

The SE Tuner is very nice, but you can grenade your engine with it if you don't know what you are doing. If all you are going to do for a while is stage one, get the new FuelPak and ride.

If they don't make the new FuelPak for your model, get the Dynojet Power Vision.

I hear he auto tune on the new FuelPak works fantastic.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swifty
I don't think the FP3 is compatible with the 2012 touring bikes. You should check the web site. I use the fp3 its a great product. But If I was in your shoes I would now go with the power vision with auto tune. Im not sure about the number.. Any how if you order it from fuel moto . I think if you tell them what you have on you bike, the will preload a map for you and you can just flash your bike . Then if you like you can tweak it with the auto tune. just my 2cts....swifty

You are correct Swifty

My bad. the unit for my scoot is LCD by V&H.

What's the poop on that version?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Schklar
Thanks for the replies!

Now I am doing more thinking.

The SE is $550 here in Ontario and the V&H is $315.

However the wrench that has always worked on my Harleys says the H-D is the best and my dealer who sells lots of V&H exhausts says they quit offering the V&H a couple of years ago because of so many problems
Its gonna be more than $235 difference. Their are no canned maps for non Harley parts with the SE so you will need a dyno tune. Figure around $300 more for that. The reason your dealer quit selling the V&H FP a couple of years ago was that they sucked. The FP3 was not around then and it is a completely different animal. Just food for thought.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear

Have decided to go with H-D Pro Super Tuner. Will have Dlr. install and Dyno later this month.

Will post experience in a few weeks.

Thanks