Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

How much oil? primary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
GriffinXLCH
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much oil? primary?

So my bike had a horrible leak out of the primary(just bought it. Was that way when I got it.) It would dump massive amounts of oil on the ground(like 2 foot diameter puddle) in a night. Cleaned up the bottom of the bike and found it was the primary. Removed the primary cover and am about to replace the gasket, went to the harley dealership and bought oil and a gasket. I talked to the guy behind the parts counter both were older guys and they both said that I should put 1 quart of Formula+ transmission and primary chain case lubricant into the primary and 3 quarts of 50 weight into the oil bag. Now I pulled off the oil cap and realized I don't have a dipstick. So to make sure I have the proper amount should I drain all oil and repalce with 3 quarts? I guess now would be a good time for an oil change anyway. The parts guys also said the primary and engine oil are totally seperate but I read on here there's a valve that connects them. Will having this formula+ in the primary case cause issues when it mixes with the oil? My last bike just had one place to put in oil and there was a window to view the fill level. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I want to make sure I do this right and I'm still in the process of learning bike maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

Griffin

Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How much oil? primary?

First what model and year ??.... -76 and older models has breathervalve in primary so it's practical to use same oil in primary and motor. Later -77 and models it's recommented to use sportster transmission fluid in primary and 20W-50 oil in motor ( look other topic about oil weight for different opinions )
There is about 20 ounce = 0,6 liter oil in primary when it's in correct level. Over filling make clutch slip, there is check screw in front of primarycase, look pictures in other topic about primarycase...
Engine oil there should be about that 3 quarter that you have instructed.....

Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 PM
GriffinXLCH
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad, I have a '75 xlch. So should I just empty out all fluid, add 3 quarts of oil and fill primary to check screw with 50 weight also?

Edit: OR should I empty all fluid add 3 quarts oil and fill primary to check screw with Formula+?

Any without a dipstick is there ever any way to know where to fill to if I just need to top it off or check the fluid level?

Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drain oiltank and add about 2.5 quart... start engine and run it some time...stop engine check level from tank, as you don't have dipstick add oil so that it's about 1/2" down from filling hole tube.
You can use 50W oil also in primary, check oil also from there after you have startet and runned engine some time.