Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'76 FXE: Primary too full of oil. Not draining?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Bulldog1085
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '76 FXE: Primary too full of oil. Not draining?

I've been resurrecting a '76 FXE Shovelhead and the engine is running well now and I've actually taken some rides on it but the oil level drops pretty quick for these brief runs and I took off the derby cover and the oil level was an inch or two above the lowest point of the derby. I thought the oil in the primary was more of an oil bath for the primary chain and not intended to be a couple inches deep in there. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could check? Off the top of my head I'm thinking oil should feed in there but, just as quickly, be drained out. Do the drains ever get plugged or anything? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

more info is needed or just mindless guessing goes on

what did you change in the oiling system - anything

have you had this bike for a while and drive it correct then this turned up kind of thing - explain

Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
more info is needed or just mindless guessing goes on

what did you change in the oiling system - anything

have you had this bike for a while and drive it correct then this turned up kind of thing - explain
+1

Old 06-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog1085
I've been resurrecting a '76 FXE Shovelhead and the engine is running well now and I've actually taken some rides on it but the oil level drops pretty quick for these brief runs and I took off the derby cover and the oil level was an inch or two above the lowest point of the derby. I thought the oil in the primary was more of an oil bath for the primary chain and not intended to be a couple inches deep in there. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could check? Off the top of my head I'm thinking oil should feed in there but, just as quickly, be drained out. Do the drains ever get plugged or anything? Any input would be appreciated.

Your '76 if it's not highly modified is a dry clutch and should have very little oil in the primary....There is no drain plug on those bikes for a reason.
There would be a little bit of oil in there from the primary chain oiler unless someone has disconnected that which a lot of guys used to do.
If you have that much oil in your primary, you probably need to look at the main seal on the motor behind the stator, That is usually the culprit for excess oil in the primary on those bikes.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Bulldog1085
Advanced

The bike is a barn find that I bought a few years ago. It didn't run, wiring was a mess, starter was non-functional. I installed new wiring hardness, plugs, leads, re-did oil pump to address sumping issue, replaced oil lines between pump/tank but nothing inside primary has been done other than replacing throw out bearing (including clutch adjustment screw and nut). Bike is stock with primary chain, etc. Not sure if there's anything else you need.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

The bike is a barn find that I bought a few years ago. It didn't run, wiring was a mess, starter was non-functional. I installed new wiring hardness, plugs, leads, re-did oil pump to address sumping issue, replaced oil lines between pump/tank but nothing inside primary has been done other than replacing throw out bearing (including clutch adjustment screw and nut). Bike is stock with primary chain, etc. Not sure if there's anything else you need.

That's more than enough.....Check your engine seal.

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (09-30-2020)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Bulldog1085
Advanced

Thanks, Greezey. I think I understand. You mean the main seal around the sprocket shaft, right? If so, I think I would need to install it in a way to keep the oil from leaking in to the primary, as opposed to wet primary types, where you would install it backwards to keep oil from leaking OUT of primary. I hope I'm making myself clear and you can tell me if that is the seal you're referring to. If so, your suggestion makes sense and I can take it from here.

Last edited by Bulldog1085; 06-15-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks, Greezey. Are you talking about the big O-ring type thing behind the stator?
I'm talking about the seal.....I'm not sure what the big "O-ring thing" is.

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (09-30-2020)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

point - do you have the vent line behind the oil pump open with the hose that sumps the oil you talked about

point - the main seal is the location the oil is coming from ??? if NO oil lines are attached to the inner primary BUT you need a vent in the primary, most use the 3/16 feed line as a vent and plug the other two fittings with 1/8 pipe plugs

you need to inspect the main seal for hardness - and the race that it seals against for turning marks as the comp sprocket could have been loose and the business was turning causing the leak

the trans oil level has to be at the bottom of the fill screw threads or it can add oil to the primary with a bad nut seal < not likely but have seen this with an over filled trans

picture up what your finding will also help as the guys can spot out issues you might not be aware of

Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not meaning to hi-jack the OP's thread, but I have a question about the sprocket shaft seal myself, with regards to my '77 FXE.
Everything I've seen has the seal installed "backwards" when the primary oiling system is stock. This is how it is now.
If installing a belt drive, the seal is turned around and installed in a more convention manner.
Which way should the seal be installed if you are divorcing the primary from the engine oiling system and running it wet?

Quick Reply: '76 FXE: Primary too full of oil. Not draining?