Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:17 AM
sportydude
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter

I got a 79 ironhead and have been looking for the dam oil filter to find out that that year didn't have a filter. What's up with this. I have been having a hard time getting any good answers out of the Harley shops around. Mine does have an external cooler which I learned was added. Should I get a filter attachment or will it restrict the oil flow too much. Confused

Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: oil filter

Many of the ironhead Sportsters did not have oil filters. The XLCH never did to my knowledge. Some of the XLH Sportys had this thing on the dipstick referred to as an oil filter. My advise is to forget about trying to adapt some kind of filter on your scooter. Simply change the oil as you should at regular intervals.......piniongear

Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 AM
sportydude
3rd Gear

cool and Thanks----Thats kinda what I was thinkin.. If it needed one I think it woulld be on there already. Mine is a XLH 79[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

I have a bit of a different opinion on the filter thing. If you are restoring the bike, or just tooling around occasionally, then the no filter thing is OK. But if the bike is going to see daily use, then add a filter on it. IIRC, the oil change interval is 2000 miles on an older Sporty. If you're using a good quality mult-vis oil, and you should be, the oil is in very good shape at this number of miles. However, with no filter it is also full of crap that is eating your engine alive. Hence, the filter is a good thing.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Piniongear is about as knowledgable as you can get on these old Irons so I value his opinion, however, I am also obsessive compulsive about my oiling system on my bikes and cars (I usually change my oil on the bike every 1000 miles on the bike and every 2-2500 on my cars). I bought a 76 basket and found out a lot over the past year and the whole no-oil-filter thing made me a little nervous, so I bought an after market oil filter mount off of ebay and am going to run that.....at least until I know my engine (which has not run in a long time) has filtered out the possible contaminants that may be in there......it may be worth it to do this even for just a while to ensure you have thoroughly cleeaned the oiling system. All it takes is some extra hose and some patience to run it. But then again, since they never had one, piniongear may be the one to clarify whether it would restrict the actual neccessary flow to, and through, the case.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

OK Sporty.....Let me retrack abit on my previous statement about not needing an oil filter.
The factory never thought one was needed or else it would have been included.
I am not saying the factory is correct about this, because we all know that crud in the oil is not a good thing.
I do think that changing the oil at frequent times can prevent getting any crud in the engine, be it a Sportster, lawn mower or air compressor. This has always been my practice with anything I've owned. I currently am driving a Chevy van, which is only the fourth automobile I have purchased since April 1965. I am a believer in changing oil, and changing it often.

The first time I rebuilt my Sportster engine in 1979 was after putting 60,000 miles on it. Yes it was worn out, but it had no crud in the cases. The last time I rebuilt it was in 1999, and again it had no crud in the engine. If the bike had an oil filter on it during that time I do not think it would have been in any different condition than I found it each time.
Conversely, even if you have an oil filter, but do not change the oil as often as you should.....What do think is going to happen? You are going to get crud.
I guess my point is, proper maintenance is the single best thing you can provide an engine.
Go ahead and put a filter on if you want. It sure will not hurt the engine, but be sure to keep that oil fresh....OK?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
sportydude
3rd Gear

Alrighty---thanks for the input----the oil is relatively easy to change, especially with no filter so every 1000 mile will be a snap to do. I am running the Harley straight 60 oil at f***gn $5.95 a quart so it better be a dam good one lol. That's what the Harley dealer in town here told me to use since it is getting hotter outside.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:48 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Sporty...That is exactly the correct oil to use. Expensive yes, but what oil is not these days? Also, be thankful you can get it in your area. I have not found any around me (Houston TX) in quite some time and have been forced to use Castrol 70W.