Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Picked up my first Ironhead project today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picked up my first Ironhead project today...

Not much of a project though as everything seems to be stock. There were a few upgrades when the bike was originally bought. It is a 1970 XLCH with 3900 miles on it. Even the tires are stock. It has a sticker that looks like a dot. The seller told me that is the original inspection sticker.

This last one has the inspection sticker dot that I was talking about. Does this have any meaning or add any value?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking bike you have there! It looks completely original, all the way down to the seat and rear handrail. Ditto for the instruments.
This fine example looks to be an XLCH model rather than an XLH model.
To tell, look at the serial number on the engine.
If the first 2 figures are 4A then it is a CH.
If the first 2 figures are 3A, then it is an XLH.

I am thinking it is an XLCH because:
It has a small battery mounted on the left side.
It has no electric starter.
It has the center mount oil tank.
The engine number will tell you which model you have.

The carb is original.
Every piece of it looks to be original.
You have what appears to be a very unusual accessory..... a center stand.
The crash bars are normally found on the XLH model, but the original owner may have bought them as an accessory.

The 1970 was the last year to have the distributor mounted on top of the timing cover. In 1971 the ignition was changed and moved to inside the timing cover. (Cone cover)
Your machine was the last year to have a dry clutch. The dry clutch is OK but you must never get oil on the plates. There is a bonnet and gasket over the clutch hub and a seal on the back of the hub to keep oil out of there.

It is almost unbelievable that you found such a pristine model. It must have had very low mileage put on it and been in storage for a long time from the look of it.
Most of these old Sportsters change owners many times and get chopped up along the way by this day and age.
Yours is perfect and I beg you not to chop it or change it up in any way.

If you want to chop it, please consider selling it to me first.
You have a really beautiful machine, so take good care of it.
pg
EDIT NOTE: Regarding the oil cap with the #1 on it......... This was a Harley marketing theme back in 1970 through about 1973 or 74. Based on Harley's record on the dirt tracks. Yamaha would soon take that away and Harley dropped the promotion. So, the sticker has no importance except for the fact that it is original and came on the bike. Oh, the 'Sportster' decal on the fuel tank is what came on the bike too.

Last edited by piniongear; 12-13-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added Edit Note.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 AM
70Weight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree with Pinion..very rare. Looks to be a XLCH with XLH accessories..ordered that way or dealer added.The paints correct,decals..Nice wonderful find!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:12 AM
C. Numb
Road Captain

Thank you. I have no intention of changing anything on the bike. My intention is to preserve her in her current state for many years to come. This is my first antique bike, so any advice on how to do THAT would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C. Numb
Thank you. I have no intention of changing anything on the bike. My intention is to preserve her in her current state for many years to come. This is my first antique bike, so any advice on how to do THAT would be greatly appreciated.
Wheew! I just knew I was going to read further and see that you were going to chop this thing of beauty up into pieces ,and install suicide clutch, and weld on hard tail. Good for you. Very few of these around.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 AM
C. Numb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nightking
Wheew! I just knew I was going to read further and see that you were going to chop this thing of beauty up into pieces ,and install suicide clutch, and weld on hard tail. Good for you. Very few of these around.
Hehe. If I was gonna do that, I would have saved a lot of money and bought a pre-molested one. LOL. No. I am content chopping up my 2009. This one is a piece of history and she is going to stay that way.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey numb where did you get her I have been looking for an orig for a long time Thanks Charly n.j.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

You are a lucky dog to find that one! Awesome.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
70Weight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tons of tender loving care,ride Her once a week..Keep the push rods adj every 1200 miles..(I would bet this hasn't been done yet) 60 or 70 weight oil both holes.. and of course She prefers Pink Floyd c.d.s!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
C. Numb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98glider
Hey numb where did you get her I have been looking for an orig for a long time Thanks Charly n.j.
It was one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" things. I got very lucky.

Quick Reply: Picked up my first Ironhead project today...