Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
steelcowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ironhead Help.

Updated info below

Last edited by steelcowboy; 06-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as much as i can i will help. hell if you are near me in florida id offer to help turn a wrench

Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Show us pics and we will answer what we can. Welcome!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 AM
steelcowboy
Road Master

OK well its been a hot min but anyways I JUST ordered a big ole box of parts fro this bike. I am hopefully going to be able to have it up on the stand some day this week. I just got in the forward controls an entire front end minus the front axle apparently. Some 80 spokes for front a rear etc. So things I KNOW I need. Axles for front and rear. Adjusters for the rear a seat some apes etc. If anyone has ever installed one of these DNA Springer's and or Sprocksters please let me know. Parts list and other info found here. Its a 76 XLCH on a Paugcho Ridgid. Here's the DNA parts list. Pics to follow
( https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp52rh9ktc7mm0r/Scan0001.pdf )

Last edited by steelcowboy; 06-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

Bump Sorry had to take a break on that project but back at it again. I have pics somewhere I just can't find them but I will find them or take some more. If anyone has any input please feel free to go direct with me either here, my Email laytondavenport@gmail.com or by phone/text 210 315-1846

Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

Here is what is looks like in a quick mockup. I need to get the bigger neck bearings etc so that's no the exact rake etc but you get the idea. Anyone ever just machine out the old ones out of curiosity???? Seems senseless to buy another set of cones just because these ones have too much material in them when I can get a hone and take out some more material and just switch the bearings. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pzxn2fw19...CUhvqMZQLtrK3a

Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have no experience with hardtail frames or springer front ends - so not much help there.

Those forward controls look like the dreaded Daniel Boone brand [break at the welds, etc]. There are much better ones out there, the Kraft Tech being the best IMO ...

http://www.krafttechinc.com/PDF%20fi...rdControls.pdf

Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

A buddy of mine mentioned that they might be problematic so we are talking about adapting them up some anyhow. The chrome looks like total poo so I think I might grind the welds down and narrow them some since they seem so insanely wide and re-weld and powder coat them black I'm trying to balance out the bling and black. Really working hard trying to find good quality kicker stuff. The engine itself should be bulletproof it was tore down and rebuild by John Fergusson in San Antonio TX. He is pretty much the messiah of old engines in TX IF you can get him to work on them. But I know I want to get it all mocked up and get the simplest wiring setup possible so I'll be doing to single mirror no signals setup. Brake light/Marker light and headlight one small mirror and the button less hand controls with some Old School 20 inch Apes try to run the wires in the frame and hide the relays etc. in a box with the battery. Looking for brass knuckle kicker, the newer styled electrical that hides in the same case but has the newer style electrical so I don't have to always kick my guts out, Velocity stack, some shotgun drag pipes and coil/key/horn/power switch bracket so its all in one place and it nice and tightly tucked up in. Hard mounted seat pan and some real high passenger pegs with a bobbed fender and tall sissy bar strut so if I do pick up a chick she can legit ride and her drunk *** not fall off lol. But otherwise I think 99% of the rest is just going to be figuring out how to get it and keep it all tight the fender that's on there I like the overall profile but I don't think that there is enough of it left to make it work. Of course then I need to find some fool who wants to clean that whole engine and mask and spray it liberally with some black paint. And polish it out sense I hate that BS lol. So if anyone has any suggestions or experience leads etc please feel free to share.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Those forward controls need gussets welded in. Easy to figure out where - just sit on it, press your feet on the foot pegs, and watch which way they bend.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

The damn things didn't even come with any instructions whatsoever. Outer box said CC inner box said made in Taiwan. The end. So we just set the one up on there to get a look of the profile etc

Quick Reply: Ironhead Help.