Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Do it yourself iron head

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Roadster mark
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it yourself iron head

I've had my ironhead for almost a month now. Everything I read suggests I should be working on the bike myself. This is something I'd love to do. I trust myself to take more care and time with the bike. I'm am no mechanic but I'm pretty good with fixing things in general.

The bike is a 1982 but it has very low miles and is almost all original. I am a little nervous about working on it.

I'd like to pick up a scrap bike to work on, take apart, put back together, get my hands dirty and just get used to how things work. Chances are I'll never find a cheap ironhead.

Are there any other motors or bikes that are similar to an ironhead mechanically? Something common like an Japanese bike that I could buy for cheap and mess with?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Roadster mark
Intermediate

... I have the original service manual and a decent toolbox

Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
temp190
Novice

first bike was 76 xlch, but being a hotrod kid all my life, the mechanics were easy, rather simple. and as you may hear again and again, get a good service manual, read like a book, make it ur new bible, get to know it. break it down into pieces, dont look at the motor as a whole. it only goes together one way, that or plan making a new friend, ur mechanic

Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My suggestion is to get a factory manual. Make this the first thing you do.
Since you have a 1982 with low miles, chances are nothing needs to be done to the engine at this time. So consider yourself lucky indeed.

I also urge you to not start taking things apart until you have an actual need to do so. A Sportster is nothing like any other Jap brand bike ever made. So forget getting some junk to tinker with because it will not apply to what you will find on an ironhead engine.
Ironheads are not complicated but there are things you need to know before you start working on it. There are a number of special tools that are needed to do some things and there are also ways to make these special tools at home in your garage.

The good part about an ironhead is you have this forum (and there is another one too) where you can get any question you may ever have............ answered by members of the forum.
There is no question that cannot be answered by one of us here.
So enjoy riding the ironhead and when the time comes for repair (and it will come) all you have to do is ask and you will be helped through any problem that comes up.
pg

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Roadster mark
Intermediate

Fortunately the previous owner gave me the original manual that came with the bike. If not for the helpful people on this site I wouldn't consider working on the ironhead myself.

The bike is currently at a mechanics garage. He is a backyard mechanic but used to work at the HD dealer. I just feel more comfortable doing things myself, saving some $ and learning about my machine.

I have every record of the work that has been done to the bike since new. Should I add that info to my profile it a post somewhere so people helping will have a better idea of what my bike has had done to it?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If bike has low mileage and it's original shape... don't fix it if it isn't broken.
Normal service and maintenance will be enough. Of course if you just want build it not ride it... Just remember that this is not what you can just go shop and buy new one, manufacturing has ended in 1985.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Roadster mark
Intermediate

I plan on keeping the bike original. It sat in storage for 10 years. That's why I took it to a mechanic when I bought it. I had to have a signal light fixed, a new petcock installed and a few minor things for a new saftey sticker. Also wanted to make sure everything was safe and working properly before I started riding it daily.

When I got the bike back it ran like crap and was backfiring like crazy. I think he cleaned the carb and messed something up? But he told me I fouled a plug.

Since I already paid for repairs I figured I should take the bike back to him. So he has it now and I gave him a new set of plugs. I'm just waiting to hear back.

This experience in addition to everyones comments suggesting I do the work myself is what led me to creating this thread.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, now you say it ran like crap after getting it back from 'the master mechanic'.
I was under the impression that the bike ran good and had low miles.
So maybe it ran like crap 10 years ago when it was put into storage?
Maybe not, but perhaps the master mechanic took care of that little problem when he 'worked on it'.
Sorry, but I have to suspect any backyard mechanic who once worked for a Harley dealer.

So what I would do myself is get your bike back from this guy before he does more damage and start learning how to tune your Sportster.
With a factory manual and this forum you can get it running good again.
pg

Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
My suggestion is to get a factory manual. Make this the first thing you do.
Since you have a 1982 with low miles, chances are nothing needs to be done to the engine at this time. So consider yourself lucky indeed.

I also urge you to not start taking things apart until you have an actual need to do so. A Sportster is nothing like any other Jap brand bike ever made. So forget getting some junk to tinker with because it will not apply to what you will find on an ironhead engine.
Ironheads are not complicated but there are things you need to know before you start working on it. There are a number of special tools that are needed to do some things and there are also ways to make these special tools at home in your garage.

The good part about an ironhead is you have this forum (and there is another one too) where you can get any question you may ever have............ answered by members of the forum.
There is no question that cannot be answered by one of us here.
So enjoy riding the ironhead and when the time comes for repair (and it will come) all you have to do is ask and you will be helped through any problem that comes up.
pg
+1

Originally Posted by piniongear
OK, now you say it ran like crap after getting it back from 'the master mechanic'.
I was under the impression that the bike ran good and had low miles.
So maybe it ran like crap 10 years ago when it was put into storage?
Maybe not, but perhaps the master mechanic took care of that little problem when he 'worked on it'.
Sorry, but I have to suspect any backyard mechanic who once worked for a Harley dealer.

So what I would do myself is get your bike back from this guy before he does more damage and start learning how to tune your Sportster.
With a factory manual and this forum you can get it running good again.
pg
+1

These are good words here.

There are more stories on these forums about mechanics messing up IronHeads. Most mechanics are not mechanics at all but are technicians. And whatever training they have is on new, modern vehicles.

Regarding fouled plugs ... When you start the bike do not leave the choke on for more than a half minute. Get the engine get started, shut off the choke, and ride off. Warm the engine by riding conservatively for the first few minutes.

You need both the factory service manual and the factory parts catalog 99451-85A. You probably have a 99484-xx service manual?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Roadster mark
Intermediate

If that's the case with the choke, I probably did foul the plugs. Bike ran ok on my ride home from the mechanics place. Next day The bike wouldn't idle without the choke no matter how long i warmed the bike so I let it warm a good 8 mins with the choke on. (I guess a bad habit, used to do it with my ol ninja)

I guess there are a few reasons I took it to him.
I have very little experience. He was recomended by a few riders, he was a mechanic at a dealership. When I got to his garage he had 4 harleys he was working on, not including his own. He graduated from HD university. And he just seems like an overall trustworthy guy.

And I guess I just wanted to have someone with experince look it over and make sure I was safe on the road.

The book I have is part no. 99484-85 service manual.

It's been raining here for 3 weeks! I should have bought a boat instead. Should have the plugs in soon and test ride if it ever clears up. I'll let you know how I get along.

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Do it yourself iron head