Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Need help adjusting carbs on 79 Ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
MrsJMS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help adjusting carbs on 79 Ironhead

Can anyone help me figure out how to adjust the carbs on my 79 Ironhead? Bendix carb-already tried cleaning the carbs and adjusting the pilot screw.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,892 Posts

you did not explain what its doing / and most iron head issues with running turns out to be the intake leaking vacuum --

if it wont idle so as you can turn the mix screw and the engine responds than ------

i would start with the intake manifold re new all o rings or flat rings and gaskets with that done / start over and see what happens -- jz

Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM
MrsJMS
5th Gear

It's spitting and sputtering at low speeds. The pilot screw was turned out about 20 turns instead of the recommended 1/2 to 1 1/4 turns. I followed someone else's suggestion of seating it gently then turning out 1 1/4, but couldn't even get it to start. I went back to where the pilot screw was placed originally (just bought this beast a few days ago) and tightened it until it stalled, then turned it back out 1 1/4 again. It's better, but not great. I'm wondering if something else is off and that's why the pilot screw needs to be so far out?

Thanks for the reply

Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

usually that is caused by a dirty idle port. the idle port is really small, and hard to get clean if your not sure what you are doing and the very first part that gets clogged.. you need to run a tiny wire through the smallest ports.spray carb cleaner through the ports and watch for it to come out the other side. a lot of the ports go two or three directions, you need to plug the extra passages with your finger and make sure the entire port is flowing rite. there is a lot of things that can cause problems, wrong jets,worn leaking butterflys, air leaks.. i have even seen people drill jets and passages out thinking they are making it flow better. unless you know exactly what your doing, drilling only turns a carb into a paperweight. you can have the right jet number, but its actually drilled 20 sizes bigger. the first thing to do is thoroughly reclean it and go from there.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 AM
MrsJMS
5th Gear

Thanks! Will try again tomorrow. The FM says the pilot screw should have a washer and O ring as well. Mine does not. I used a pipe cleaner to check-nothing came out. Maybe that's part of the problem as well. I just figured out that my voltage regulator isn't working too. Looks like I have some work ahead of me before I jump on and go :/

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

1979 came with a Keihin carb. I am not familiar with the Bendix and certainly a previous owner could have switched it, but are you certain it is a Bendix? The FM for 1979 does not show any Bendix carbs.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM
MrsJMS
5th Gear

Yep. It's stamped.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM
MrsJMS
5th Gear

Mick, you're not too far over the border. You should come to Detroit and help

Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM
IronMick