Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Electric Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Electric Start

A buddy of mine has a '78 XLCH and asked me the other day if I knew if he could add an electric start to his bike. Apparently, he had been given conflicting information. I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd throw it out to the brain trust here.
He also wanted to know if there was a slimmer oil bag available as he is always catching the inside of his knee on the corner of the stock oil bag.
Again, I didn't have an answer.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,874 Likes on 18,602 Posts

XLH ( electric start ) uses a different oil tank that sticks out on the right/throttle side. There are a lot of parts that would need to be changed also. My XLCH was a bit difficult to start initially but after getting the "knack" of it, started quite easily. I rode with several who had the electric starts and they were always having trouble with the starters ... just my .02 cents worth.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 AM
FL54
Road Master

Thanks Uncle Larry. I'll pass it along.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Adding a kick start to an electric start IronHead is easy - just buy a kit and install it. Adding electric to kick is not so easy - no kits, lots of changes: oil tank, battery, battery tray, starter motor, starter solenoid, relay, start button, wiring, etc.

Do a google search. Probably find more on various IronHead forums.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
FL54
Road Master

Thanks Mike. Sounds like it's way more trouble than it's worth. Your post dovetails with what he had found out. Sounds like the best thing is to get the bike set up correctly, use the proper starting proceedure and be done with it.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

With a good tune and fresh fuel they start easy ... During the tune be sure to check that the advance mechanism ( ignition points and drive plate ) is operating freely ... It's quite common for them to seize up in the advance position ... take a minute and be sure it moving and lubricated and that the parts are not worn out ... many guys miss this part of the tune ... just my .02 cents worth!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM
FL54
Road Master

Thanks agin Uncle Larry. I'll pass it along. I also told him to check the seals on the intake manifold.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I'll add to check the push rod adjustment at least every 2000 miles. One p-rod getting a bit tight and kick starting can be painful.

What i do is check the cylinder compression from time to time, immediately after returning home from a ride, when the engine is at full operating temperature. When one cylinder is low it is a sure sign of a tight p-rod. So then i check them and adjust if necessary.

The compression test is quick and easy as there is no parts disassembly [except removing spark plugs], and cheap as you can get compression testers at Princess Auto or Harbor Freight.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL54
A buddy of mine has a '78 XLCH and asked me the other day if I knew if he could add an electric start to his bike. Apparently, he had been given conflicting information. I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd throw it out to the brain trust here.
He also wanted to know if there was a slimmer oil bag available as he is always catching the inside of his knee on the corner of the stock oil bag.
Again, I didn't have an answer.
Thanks in advance for your input.
The 1978 XLCH is an electric start bike.

Your buddy's '78 'CH could be almost anything in a '78 'CH frame with matching title.

It could be as simple a putting a starter back in, unwrapping the electrical tape from the connectors and pushing the button.

or as complex as the infinite combinations of parts that can be assembled and mounted to a frame with matching title that can be called an IronHead.

or somewhere in between.

post pics.

Tell him to research the bike and get to know exactly what he has.

s

Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottfisher
The 1978 XLCH is an electric start bike.

Your buddy's '78 'CH could be almost anything in a '78 'CH frame with matching title.

It could be as simple a putting a starter back in, unwrapping the electrical tape from the connectors and pushing the button.

or as complex as the infinite combinations of parts that can be assembled and mounted to a frame with matching title that can be called an IronHead.

or somewhere in between.

post pics.

Tell him to research the bike and get to know exactly what he has.

s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Sportster

Pretty sure that XLCH ( I know mine was ) is a kicker only. XLH was electric start.

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 12-27-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Start