Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

This is discrimination, plain and simple

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is discrimination, plain and simple

I was thinking about buying an Ultra Classic when I found out my Harley insurance costs are so high because of the area I live in. The insurance company said because of the high thief and claims in this area, insurance would always be expensive. Sure enough, after contacting other insurance companies they say the same thing. I've never had a clam or defaulted on a loan payment. One insurance company said, the longer I live in the area the higher the insurance costs will be for that reason. Anyone else ever heard anything like that?

Last edited by shortride; 02-01-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Post Not Fair But True

Originally Posted by bikes
I was thinking about buying an Ultra Classic when I found out my Harley insurance costs are so high because of the area I live in. The insurance company said because of the high thief and claims in this area would always be high. Sure enough, after contacting other insurance companies they say the same thing. I've never had a clam or defaulted on a loan payment. One insurance company said, the longer I live in the area the higher the insurance costs will be for that reason. Anyone else ever heard anything like that?
Sad but afraid it's true, Insurance goes by statistics to earn their money.. When I moved from Tampa to Lake City my vehicles Insurance ( Bikes and Trucks both ) Almost dropped 1/2 ..

Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,063 Likes on 21,547 Posts

Guess you'd better move.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got a friend who lives out in the boonies? change the address on your drivers licence and registraion and insurance to a boonies address. when i lived in ontario i hadthe same problem plus if your address was inside of a certain geographical area you needed emissions testing but outside of the geographical area you didnt need it.

its not "illegal" and i never had any problems with my coverage doin it

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
got a friend who lives out in the boonies? change the address on your drivers licence and registraion and insurance to a boonies address. when i lived in ontario i hadthe same problem plus if your address was inside of a certain geographical area you needed emissions testing but outside of the geographical area you didnt need it.

its not "illegal" and i never had any problems with my coverage doin it
That may work for some. My region includes all of North Texas, Southeastern Oklahoma, Southwestern Arkansas and Northwestern Louisiana. Unfortunately, I can't afford to move. My house is paid for and I would never afford to live where I would like to move to. I guess I'm stuck here. It doesn't make much sense to move only because of insurance cost. I am just venting.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Register it at a family members house that's outta the area.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
Register it at a family members house that's outta the area.
My closest family memeber are in Iowa, Colorado and Houston Texas.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Stratos01
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Committing fraud (that is what lying on an insurance application is) on an insurance policy is risky because if you have a loss like collision, theft, etc. and make a claim that the insurance company investigates for whatever reason, the insurer can generally void the policy back to inception.

I know, because I am an attorney that used to represent insurance companies and we used to recommend denial of claims all of the time where the insured used someone else's address to avoid paying higher premiums and/or so that insurance was available. A material false statement on an insurance application usually led to the insured also lying during the insurance company's investigation, which is also additional grounds for denying a claim. The only good news: you ususally are entitled to a refund of your policy premium when the policy is voided for material mistatement/fraud.

Lying on an insurance application is also a crime in most states. I'm not defending the insurance companies by any stretch, but facts are what they are.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to live west of Phila., but close enough to be included in the Phila. area with regard to insurance. I moved 15 miles farther west and my insurance dropped 50%. I couldn't believe 15 miles could make that kind of difference.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikes
That may work for some. My region includes all of North Texas, Southeastern Oklahoma, Southwestern Arkansas and Northwestern Louisiana. Unfortunately, I can't afford to move. My house is paid for and I would never afford to live where I would like to move to. I guess I'm stuck here. It doesn't make much sense to move only because of insurance cost. I am just venting.
Well, my region has a riding season all of 5 months out of the year. Hope that puts your premiums in perspective.

Quick Reply: This is discrimination, plain and simple