Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

My experience with State Farm insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM
timetaride
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with State Farm insurance.

Just crashed my highly modified 09 heritage softail classic last Sunday the 9th of February me and my brothers were out for a easy Sunday afternoon ride through the country. As we came to turn onto another road there were riders on horseback off the right side of the road so as we always do we were gentle on the throttles as not to spook those horses.
We had 2 riders paired in front and myself and another brother staggered safely behind. At about 35 mph moving to forth gear a dog came out of the side ditch from the left and ran into the back of my front wheel. We were told that dog had been laying in the ditch but no one saw it until he bolted across and clipped my bike flipping us off the bike and doing serious damage to me ,my girl,...and my bike. I never saw the dog before during or after. But owner came and got the dog....never came to see how we were....just took his dog and left.
Many witnesses were there to see what happened and the trooper made no citations and we left in the ambulance for the nearest hospital.
So far State Farm has been attentive and helpful as I had full coverage on my bike along with what I understood at the time as an increase in collision due to additional money being put on mods.
So far my complaint has been getting a detailed policy copy that clearly defines what we are paying for. I hope our outcome with State Farm will be a positive one. I will update my dealings with State Farm as I move through this process.
My hope is to help others see through my experience what to expect from State Farm. And hear anyone that has advice for me in this process....thanks!

Mark

Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I have State Farm and USAA...both are working very well through my daughter's automobile crash (she was rear-ended). It might be "agent-specific" so this could vary from agency to agency.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM
WillPwr
Tourer

Originally Posted by timetaride
Just crashed my highly modified 09 heritage softail classic last Sunday the 9th of February me and my brothers were out for a easy Sunday afternoon ride through the country. As we came to turn onto another road there were riders on horseback off the right side of the road so as we always do we were gentle on the throttles as not to spook those horses.
We had 2 riders paired in front and myself and another brother staggered safely behind. At about 35 mph moving to forth gear a dog came out of the side ditch from the left and ran into the back of my front wheel. We were told that dog had been laying in the ditch but no one saw it until he bolted across and clipped my bike flipping us off the bike and doing serious damage to me ,my girl,...and my bike. I never saw the dog before during or after. But owner came and got the dog....never came to see how we were....just took his dog and left.
Many witnesses were there to see what happened and the trooper made no citations and we left in the ambulance for the nearest hospital.
So far State Farm has been attentive and helpful as I had full coverage on my bike along with what I understood at the time as an increase in collision due to additional money being put on mods.
So far my complaint has been getting a detailed policy copy that clearly defines what we are paying for. I hope our outcome with State Farm will be a positive one. I will update my dealings with State Farm as I move through this process.
My hope is to help others see through my experience what to expect from State Farm. And hear anyone that has advice for me in this process....thanks!

Mark
Hey Mark, let me first say I wish you and your girlfriend a speedy and full recovery. I hate hearing stories like this especially when it involves the loss of a bike.

When it comes to claims, your agents office might not be allowed to discuss the policy with you nor release the policy booklet. This is done because the client is usually trying to interpret the coverage as it relates to the loss. The agent and team members are very knowledgeable but our claims adjusters are trained to specifically interpret the policy as it relates to your specific claim and were not always able to do that in the office so it has become a general rule. It is not that they do not want to help, they are just following a protocol put in place to best help you.

When it comes to your bike and the mods, if you retained receipts and documentation, photographs ect. of those mods then just turn them over to the adjuster. Anytime you are putting a lot of work into the bike you want to consult with your agent to ensure the policy fits your needs. It sounds like you did that so you just want to give the adjusters some time to process everything.

As Iceman24 stated, we do have many different people working with us both in agents offices and claims. If you ever feel you are not getting the service you deserve, you may speak with a supervisor. I rarely hear stories of people not having a pleasant experience with claims. With that said remember that most of these adjusters are dealing with people that have suffered losses and although a good percent of people are calm, cool and collected, another big chunk of the people they are working with are scared, angry and feel lost so sometimes your adjuster might seem to be in a crabby or sour mood but its nothing personal.

I am sure your claim will be resolved to your satisfaction and again if you feel it is not being resolved the way you feel it should be, you can always reach out to someone higher up.

Good luck

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
timetaride
Advanced
Default Update to my experience with State Farm Ins.

Yesterday I spoke with my agent regarding our claim. I wanted to know if our gear (jackets boots etc...) we're going to be covered as I was under the impression it would be. She advised I take pictures and send them along with receipts to our claim team. I did as she advised.

I also sent copies of 6000.00 worth of modifications I had added just after buying the 2009 pose heritage softail classic. My indi shop completed the estimate and sent it to claims along with photos and also show pictures of where my bike was in the last full throttle show in Charlotte.

I also tried to get the information regarding my wife and I calling to have our policy increased after I started adding mods.

As an innocent passenger on the bike I was under the impression her medical and time off work would be addressed as well as my bike and my financial interests would be looked after by State Farm.

I got a call today from one of those impersonal cold represenitives from State Farm telling me that my wife was not to get anything because I did nothing wrong and I was not cited or found to be at faults so I assume by that she ...we will burden all the costs of her medical and lost time. Also she told me they could not find anything showing we asked for or received an additional coverage for my bike. But we did...we called our local agent at the time who has since left his position there..
I was told all we would get would be whatever the adjuster feels my bike was worth at the time of the accident. I'm hearing Kelly blue book...not even close to what my bike was worth ....not only to me but if I had sold it.

So in closing for now it seems State Farm is working very hard to save themselves everything they can and really don't give a second thought to us..the client and payer of their insurance rates.. I have not had any claims on any insurance for 30 years...but I pay it...it's auto pay and has been for many years. I also have homeowners and cover 3 other vehicles ...all is with State Farm.
I am worried this could force us into a terrible financial position and we did nothing wrong...just out for a nice Sunday evening ride.

So far very unsatisfied with my deal sing with State Farm.
Will continue to update facts as they take place.

Mark

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
timetaride
Advanced

One more thing to add. If anyone has any advice for us regarding this I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks,...Mark

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
timetaride
Advanced
Default Update from crash

First two weeks were tough with both me and my girl on crutches. Not normally one to whine oh poor me. But just returned from extensive surgery on left knee. Was told six weeks before any noticeable use fom my leg. As far as what I have experienced in the past with pain and disability this seems to rank way up,there so far. Hope it's more tolerable in a cpl days.
Mark

Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope everyone has a full recovery, my experience with State Farm has been good, wrecked a new sportster in 05 with about 2 grand in aftermarket non harley parts, dealer took it and did all the work with State Farm and paid for everything including aftermarket. Last year someone hit my sons parked car again Mazda took it and ins. Paid everything, both times State Farm drasticly low balled estimate to fix but were no problem dealing with the dealers to fix. Seems like if you give it to your dealer and tell them to let you know of any State Farm issues i bet it works out.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

did you talk to jake?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Insurance adjusters are not your friend, They are working for the insurance company and are trained to save the company money. You have to speak up and not just let them run all over you.
Why don't you have a copy of your policy.

Quick Reply: My experience with State Farm insurance.