Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Colarado to Rapid city - Route Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:38 AM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Colarado to Rapid city - Route Suggestions

Hello Mountain - Prairie crew.

I'm from Australia and I'm lucky to be headed to the 75th Sturgis event.
Starting from Eaglerider Phoenix, I'm overnighting in Albuquerque then onto Denver where I'll stop overnight in a hotel near Denver Int'l airport. From there, it's onto Rapid city.

I've had a look at a few routes for my trip to Rapid city where I'll be staying for 11 days and I can see three alternatives; I was hoping for some pro's and con's from anyone familiar with the journey.

The options from google maps are:
I-76 E & US-385 N
I-25 N & US-18 E
US-85N

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

Scottylj.

Attached Thumbnails Colarado to Rapid city - Route Suggestions-screenshot-2015-04-06-16.10.42.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

The first time I went to Sturgis, I went with a friend who'd gone for several years.

On our ride up to Rapid City (where we stayed with a friend who lives there), we did the following:

I25 North to Cheyenne
85 through Torrington and Lusk
85 onwards to New Castle
585 to Devils Tower
24/34 over through Belle Fourche
34 to I90 into Sturgis and onwards to Rapid City

So, we did this route mainly to see Devils Tower as I never had. It's impressive. There will be bikes and riders all over already, and the entire area is already alive for the rally. It's really awesome.

On the way to Belle Fourche, there is an stone old farm house that's turned into a bar/grille kind of place for the rally. There is usually a good crowd there, and it's really just a cool place to check out. If you can find enough space, there are Sharpie markers laying around that you can sign your name on the walls of the house.

From Belle Fourche, just hop on down to I90 just west of Sturgis and you're all set.

--------------------

If Devils Tower isn't something you want to see on your way into the rally, check out the following route:

I25 North to Cheyenne
18 East to Hot Springs
79 North to Rapid City

Last edited by Redbeard719; 04-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 AM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
The first time I went to Sturgis, I went with a friend who'd gone for several years.

On our ride up to Rapid City (where we stayed with a friend who lives there), we did the following:

I25 North to Cheyenne
85 onwards to New Castle
585 to Devils Tower
24/34 over through Belle Fourche
34 to I90 into Sturgis and onwards to Rapid City

So, we did this route mainly to see Devils Tower as I never had. It's impressive. There will be bikes and riders all over already, and the entire area is already alive for the rally. It's really awesome.

On the way to Belle Fourche, there is an stone old farm house that's turned into a bar/grille kind of place for the rally. There is usually a good crowd there, and it's really just a cool place to check out. If you can find enough space, there are Sharpie markers laying around that you can sign your name on the walls of the house.

From Belle Fourche, just hop on down to I90 just west of Sturgis and you're all set.

--------------------

If Devils Tower isn't something you want to see on your way into the rally, check out the following route:

I25 North to Cheyenne
18 East to Hot Springs
79 North to Rapid City
Thanks very much, Redbeard719,

I'm keen to see those places you mentioned and the stone farmhouse sounds like a good place to relax.