Sponsored by:

Another XM Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM
BTFD55
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another XM Option

Anyone tried the SiriusXM Satellite Radio SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus with the handle bar mount instead of the factory installed unit?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:29 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 11 year old XM receiver finally died the week after the 14 Ultra was delivered. I got a deal on an XM Onyx for $0.00 after rebate.
I made a stereo jack to the aux wiring unit harness on the radio, had the dealer reprogram the 6.5 to turn on the aux. stereo input, no problems.

With the antenna "outside", I don't have the poor reception problems riders with the factory unit talk about.

Attached Thumbnails Another XM Option-xmmount1.jpg   Another XM Option-xmmount2.jpg  

Last edited by 01XLH; 11-26-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Where is the aux wiring unit harness. I have the same onyx radio and had it on my '09, would like xm on the 14 limited but not worth 300 bucks to me.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 AM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by santajim
Where is the aux wiring unit harness. I have the same onyx radio and had it on my '09, would like xm on the 14 limited but not worth 300 bucks to me.
Not worth it... especially with the poor reception the factory system has. I can only justify even paying for listening because a friend of mine works at their Washington, D.C. studios.

There's a 12 pin connection that's used for the CB module it's marked [184A] on Figure B-10 in the FSM. While looking at the FSM wiring diagrams, I noticed it.
I don't need CB so I figured I could use it for the XM.

I chose Aux Stereo Input #3
Pin 6 Right +In
Pin 7 Left + In
Pin 8 Audio Shield aka ground

Then there was a post here about adding audio from a GPS to the infotainment system and it explained how to reprogram the infotainment system to turn the Aux on.

The dealer had never heard of it, but was willing to try. 15 minutes later he brings the bike out with XM 60's on 6 playing "Little Honda" how appropriate.
The service manager asked me "How did you know about this reprogram? We didn't know anything about it".

Regardless of my issues with the poor service and support (lack thereof) for the Infotainment & GPS issues, we've gotten along fine ever since.

Last edited by 01XLH; 11-26-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,293 Likes on 2,961 Posts

[QUOTE=01XLH;13449314]My 11 year old XM receiver finally died the week after the 14 Ultra was delivered. I got a deal on an XM Onyx for $0.00 after rebate.
I made a stereo jack to the aux wiring unit harness on the radio, had the dealer reprogram the 6.5 to turn on the aux. stereo input, no problems.

What mount are you using on your limited for the onyx unit, also what did you end up doing with all the excess antenna wiring?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:23 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought about getting the H D sat. Installed, but not after hearing the reception problems. I have a lifetime subscription with Sirius, and a Starmate 5,
It has a built in FM Mod in. As long as you use a POWERCONNECT plug, you just tune to 88.1 and good. No connection or wires to radio. Use the shorty antenna cord is only about 5 inch long.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:05 PM
ElvisNOklahoma
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing with the harness. Took the instructions to Harley dealer to do their part and now I have Sirius without spending $400 and another subscription. I spent about $73 all total for aux cable and dealer programming. This was IMO Harley's way to make more money if there was no aux in infotainment center. I took an extra XM antenna I had, very small, and placed it on outside as well. Rolled all the extra wires, antenna and cables and zip stripped behind fairing.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BTFD55
Anyone tried the SiriusXM Satellite Radio SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus with the handle bar mount instead of the factory installed unit?
Recently upgraded my old (and dying) XM Roadie to the XM Ony X. Got the radio/vehicle kit thru a promotion offer by XM last year.

Dash mounted one cradle to my 2011 RGU w/direct audio input to my radio's aux plug and listen to it thru the headsets.

Handlebar mounted other cradle to my 2015 RGS w/ audio out cable running from it, under the tank, to just under my seat. Listen to it thru custom earplug speakers.

Very simple install on both bikes. Majority of time was spent in hiding the power/antenna/audio cables the best I could while routing them where they needed to go.

regards,

Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fmgsr
I thought about getting the H D sat. Installed, but not after hearing the reception problems. I have a lifetime subscription with Sirius, and a Starmate 5,
It has a built in FM Mod in. As long as you use a POWERCONNECT plug, you just tune to 88.1 and good. No connection or wires to radio. Use the shorty antenna cord is only about 5 inch long.
There are no "open" FM frequencies in my area. There are some blank spots with stations on each side. But as soon as you go near numerous places, your FM receivers ends-up with interference.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
My 11 year old XM receiver finally died the week after the 14 Ultra was delivered. I got a deal on an XM Onyx for $0.00 after rebate.

With the antenna "outside", I don't have the poor reception problems riders with the factory unit talk about.
I guarantee the Onyx receiver has a much better buffer built into it, so that is why you don't have reception problems. The Harley XM module only has 1 second of buffer built in so it only takes a very, very short time to lose the signal after you pass under a leaf from an overhanging tree. If they splurged and gave the receiver a minimum 5-10 second buffer like every other satellite receiver available, there wouldn't be a third of the complaints about the Harley XM module.

Quick Reply: Another XM Option