2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do a fork job themselves on a Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone do a fork job themselves on a Rushmore?

I've asked this in another thread and got no traction.

I try to do all my own wrenching whenever possible.

I'm thinking of replacing my fork springs this winter (lowering kit) but the book calls for a few specialty tools I don't have.

Wondering if anyone here has done a fork job on their Rushmore yet to see how it went and what you used to get around some of the specialty tools the book calls for?

I don't want to get started on the project and halfway through, have to put it back together and take to the shop.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Did progressives in my sgs myself...hardest part was finding a wrench for the to bolt/ cap and the bottom bolt (12mms allen). Make sure you have those and everything else is straight forward and easy

Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM
TexasRoper
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if you were not specifically asking about "rushmore" bikes you would get a better response. There isn't anything special about a "rushmore" from a general repair and maintenance point.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM
toecat2000
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I too lowered mine with the progressive springs. As LilWick said the hardest part was finding the wrenches. By the way, Harbour Freight has the needed wrenches.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM
09RoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I did the Harley lowering cartridge on mine. What a treat that was! I think the progressive kits are much easier but I am happy with how it turned out but you will need the specialty tool to get that cartridge together.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I do all my wrenching also and did the exhaust (cut out cat and welded plate back in) tuner and tore it down and powder coated it all. Got it all back together without and extra parts but after researching it and buying the manual I decided to pay the 275 to have powder coated lowers put on. Just one of those jobs that I thought would be better left to someone who had done a few. jmho. Thanks

Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I also did the progressive lowering kit along with chrome lowers. Ditto to what LilWick and others said. I found it no big deal and I don't really wrench much but have done quite a lot on my 14 SGS.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09RoadGlide
Yes, I did the Harley lowering cartridge on mine. What a treat that was! I think the progressive kits are much easier but I am happy with how it turned out but you will need the specialty tool to get that cartridge together.
Was that the Low Profile Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit-45500157? If so how do you like it? Would you be interested in renting the tool to me?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:47 AM
09RoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Was that the Low Profile Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit-45500157? If so how do you like it? Would you be interested in renting the tool to me?
I like it a lot, very happy. I would recommend buying the tool if you do your own wrenching for future maintenance. I bought my from Jims. It was a bit pricey, but not more than you would pay for labor when all said and done. I did have to turn down the extension rod a bit to get it to work. It was slightly too big (diameter) for the spring washer to fit over. Again, I don't believe the progressive kits require special tools so you could also go that route.

I've got a few buddys on deck here that want it done after the holidays so mine is spoken for awhile.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09RoadGlide
I like it a lot, very happy. I would recommend buying the tool if you do your own wrenching for future maintenance. I bought my from Jims. It was a bit pricey, but not more than you would pay for labor when all said and done. I did have to turn down the extension rod a bit to get it to work. It was slightly too big (diameter) for the spring washer to fit over. Again, I don't believe the progressive kits require special tools so you could also go that route.

I've got a few buddys on deck here that want it done after the holidays so mine is spoken for awhile.
No problem. Thanks.

How far did that kit lower the your front and what rears did you go with? I'm considering Ohlins 3-1s.

Quick Reply: Anyone do a fork job themselves on a Rushmore?