Sponsored by:

Power duals install

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
hammerr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power duals install

I'm replacing the stock headers with power duals on my 2014 Ultra Limited and the instructions from Vance & Hines leave something to be desired. They provide 2 exhaust header gaskets, but no instruction on how to install them. I don't think the stock pipes had gaskets unless they were compressed and are still in the header ports. Can anyone provide some advice; I don't want any exhaust leaks.

Other than this minor issue, everything else about the install is straightforward. The heat shields look great and these PDs should look fine with my Monster Ovals.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Just installed the PD's on my 14 Road King. First thing is yes the original gaskets are still in the exhaust ports, I used a small fine screw driver to remove them.
Second I didn't use the gaskets provided with headpipe, instead bought some original equip gaskets from the dealer (supposedly better quality).

Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I used a metal 90 degree pick to get the gasket out of the head and V&H recommend Screaming Eagle gaskets over stock.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

2014 SGS I used the stock gaskets when first installed the power duels, I noticed a exhaust smell at high RPMs. I installed the V and H supplied gaskets and STILL have smell !

Old 01-03-2015, 11:01 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on using the SE gaskets. Go to your local HD dealer and pick them up. The stock gaskets are there. As was mentioned, use a small screwdriver or a pick to get them out.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=hammerr;13558543]I'm replacing the stock headers with power duals on my 2014 Ultra Limited and the instructions from Vance & Hines leave something to be desired.

A small 90 degree pic works, the gasket may come out in peices. Search you tube for J&P cycles install Rinehart exhaust systems, exelaint video.

Attached Thumbnails Power duals install-image.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 05:19 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmmya
2014 SGS I used the stock gaskets when first installed the power duels, I noticed a exhaust smell at high RPMs. I installed the V and H supplied gaskets and STILL have smell !
If you are getting an exhaust smell on the highway it is probably not coming from the exhaust gasket, an exhaust gasket leak will sound like a ticking or popping from the head.
I smelled exhaust fumes on my bike after installing a set of cheap lowers on my crash bar, I think it was a combo of the lower with the fork deflectors and windshield I am running. I took the lowers off and the exhaust fumes stopped being sucked back to the driver position. I have factory lowers but did not assemble or install them yet, I think the aero dynamics of the factory lowers will probably work ok.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The OEM gaskets are a much thicker cone shaped gasket. The SE ones as well as some others are a thin flat gasket supposedly to allow better flow. I've done dozens of headpipe changes and have used both. The OEM cone shape are less likely to leak. I've had headpipes that just would not seal properly with them and often you can't tell you have the exact seal you want unless you are dyno tuning. I've been using the OEM style now exclusively. The design of the end of the headpipe can make a huge difference. You will also find that putting them in the freezer overnight makes them easier to fit since they shrink a bit that way.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Drok
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its fairly easy to do.. take your time and dont scratch anything... i removed mine with needle nose pliers after carefully moving them around with a thin flat screwdriver... the V&H gaskets worked fine for me.... no leaks or issues

Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 AM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I also did a re-torqe on them after running and it had cooled down. I actually got some more on the bolts. I did this after three runs before they didn't tighten down anymore.

Quick Reply: Power duals install