Sponsored by:

EZ-Up or HD Center Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:48 PM
H-Town
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default EZ-Up or HD Center Stand?

I'm interested in getting a center stand for my SGS. I was leaning towards an EzUp based on reviews on this forum, but clearance concerns were confirmed by this post...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ter-stand.html

The last thing I want is to drag the stand through turns. Can anyone tell me if the HD version is better? I know I've read the HD version is a bit harder to get up on, but I can sacrifice a slightly tougher lift if I can eliminate...or virtually eliminate any drag on the stand.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Right up front I'll say I don't know from personal experience - but I don't think low bikes & center stands are a good match. I never dragged the c'stand on my Honda 550-Four....but there you go....

Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Well there's always two sides ... I've got an EZ Up on my 2009 FLHTCU and I ride two up quite often. I'm a hard rider and really enjoy the twisties and sweeping curves too. My scooter has stock suspension and the ride height has not been altered. I have ridden the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and many roads in the southeast along with all the great rides in the Black Hills and Chief Joseph to name a few and while I've scraped the boards many times not once did I drag the stand. Now in town in and out of some driveways I've shined the paint on the stand a few times but never ever bad enough to upset the scooter. I should also note that I'm a big guy ( 6'2' .. 250 and my better half is a little better than half ) ... The HD stand does offer better visual clearance and it is tucked up but the one I had on my 1992 FLHTCU rattled like crazy and was very difficult to use. The EZ Up ( once you've gotten comfortable with it ) operates as effortlessly as the videos shown on their site ... Just another guy with an opinion :>)

Old 04-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with (apparently my) Uncle L, I have the stand on the '10 and '15 (had it before also) and I can't ever remember it hitting in a curve, two up or solo, floorboards always, but not the stand, an I don't mind pushing it, to the point that I am more than lucky to be alive. Like Uncle L, it will scrape on lots of speed bumps and things like that.

I love the center stand, but it's not for everyone, but if it scraping in turns is the part that would change your decision to buy or not, then I wouldn't change, because I really don't think it ever comes in to play.

If the bike has been lowered, raised, moved from the factory shocks that they have the stand for, then it will not work as designed, it may still work but will more effort or trouble. My experience has only been on standard height versions of FLH's, so as to lows and such, I have no real world experience.

I almost forgot, hey Uncle Larry, you don't mind me calling you Uncle L do ya, I mean since we are family?

Last edited by Copyless; 04-12-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

I almost forgot, hey Uncle Larry, you don't mind me calling you Uncle L do ya, I mean since we are family? ... I've been called much worse. What time is dinner?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's another recent thread of the EZ-Up Stands. Its more about the stands use with the Lows.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...mited-low.html

Old 04-12-2015, 06:01 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I have never hit my easy up on the ultra. Once in a tight low speed switch Back I hit the floor board bracket, it jumped the rear tire off the ground and scared the pi$$ out of me. Didn't hit the easy up.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 PM
H-Town
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. I do believe I want a center stand...just not sold on either solution just yet. I didn't want to hijack the other posters question so I started this one here. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 AM
bigboomerFLSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the HD center stand on my 14 Ultra Limited. I have to get off the bike to put it up on the stand. If i could sell the HD stand, I would get the EZ Up.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by H-Town
Thanks. I do believe I want a center stand...just not sold on either solution just yet. I didn't want to hijack the other posters question so I started this one here. I appreciate everyone's comments.
What part of H-Town? I have an EZ-Up for my '14 Limited that you could try.

It is not on my bike right now. I have to take it off to put it on the lift and when I do I am never sure that I am going to put it back on.

Quick Reply: EZ-Up or HD Center Stand?