Sponsored by:

EZ-Up Center Stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:40 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts
Exclamation EZ-Up Center Stand

I purchased and installed an EZ-Up center stand (had it about a month) and because of the weather, just had a chance to get it out for like the second ride. It is a very nice and well built piece and it performs exactly as advertised. But it does have it's draw-backs...

First, even on the standard height FLHTK it WILL drag in very slight to moderate turns...and I DO mean moderate. I've not had any issues with speed bumps yet, but it's already pretty filed off on the edges from dragging curves.

The most problematic issues I've had though is tipping the frigg'n bike over. In all the years of riding Harleys, I've tipped my 2005 RoadKing twice and this 2014 Ultra Limited once...until I installed the EZ-Up Center Stand. Let me say, one should be READY to perfect your technique of righting your beached whale once this stand is installed. I've now tipped the Limited over three times in one month, fortunately in the privacy of my own garage!!

The damn bike will go over so fast it will make your head spin. First off, your foot is so close to centerline of the bike (being on the lift lever and pushing down), if the bike goes past center balance, you have NO chance of getting your foot and leg out far enough to stop it from going over. You absolutely and positively must have BOTH of the stand feet on the ground before pushing down to lift the bike up. And if you have the plywood under to get the rear tire off the ground (as advertised), this advise is even more important. And I'm 6'3" and 205 lbs!

I'm sure glad the MoCo designers got the bag guards out enough to avoid damage to the bags!!

Anyway, I think with enough use it will become second nature to pop it up, but I can see why they are NOT installed from the factory. In fact, if it give me much more grief, I'll be putting it up for sale...Just not worth the headache.

Just my observations...

Last edited by plongson; 04-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:26 PM
exracer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou, one less thing to buy👍

Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed Ohlins that are stiffer and slightly (1/4") longer than the stock shocks. My bike will literally roll right off the EZ centerstand by itself and fall over. I used it to store the bike in the garage but I had to run straps through the front wheel back to the centertand to prevent it from falling over.

Just a heads up to anyone considering one of these.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I've got 30,000 miles of trouble free operation on the last one I purchased ... Nothing to using it :>)

Old 04-12-2015, 06:21 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I've got 30,000 miles of trouble free operation on the last one I purchased ... Nothing to using it :>)
And I've got over 30 K miles of trouble free use by not buying one ! Never had my jiffy stand brake either. Want a center stand, buy a Gold Wing !

Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I was having the same problems. Watch the video on youtube. Practice getting the bike up on both legs. Do this several times. When you feel comfortable step down and let the bike come up. Took me a week to feel comfortable.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I guess I'm wondering why you would add one of these? Do you have something against using the kickstand?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:33 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I guess I'm wondering why you would add one of these? Do you have something against using the kickstand?
1: it saves a bunch of space in the garage.

2: on a trip it's nice having a way to fix a flat tire if needed, without calling a wrecker.

Those are my reasons anyway.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
1: it saves a bunch of space in the garage.

2: on a trip it's nice having a way to fix a flat tire if needed, without calling a wrecker.

Those are my reasons anyway.
I put a center stand on my Heritage. The jiffy stand kept sinking into the parking lot at work. It does take some practice to get used to it, but simple after you get used to it.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had one of those center stands on both my 07 and 11. Decided not to put one on my 15. I miss it at times however there are things I don't miss.

1. I only used it at home in my perfectly level shop.
2. Way too easy to tip the bike over if used on even a slightly unlevel surface.
3. Never trusted it in a parking lot.
4. Bike would scrape on speed bumps.
5. Fairly tricky to get it up on the stand. Once my technique was perfected, I could do it easily. Push it down until it touches, tip the bike slightly back and forth to make sure both feet are touching, then push it all the way down.
6. The center stand I had on my 07 was wider than on my 11. When HD updated the touring frames in 09, the stand had to be narrowed to fit the new frame. I was told this by the salesman who installed my stand at Sturgis in 10.

http://www.wheeldock.com/store/item/ez-up

Quick Reply: EZ-Up Center Stand