2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)

So I purchased and installed the Tour-Pak quick detach kit (HD p/n 53000291A) on my 2014 Limited, and I thought I'd share some observations.

First, the kit comes complete with everything needed:

1. LED run-turn-brake lights that attach to the top-back side of the saddlebags
2. Tour-Pak quick-detach rack that replaces the stock Tour-Pak support
3. 4-point docking hardware
4. License plate relocation frame (more on that below)
5. Antenna relocation kit that moves the AM/FM radio antenna adjacent to the bottom of the rear fender. Note that the kit doesn't include a relocation kit for the CB antenna. That has to be purchased separately. I never use the CB, so I wasn't concerned about that.

Installation was pretty straightforward. I probably spent 3 hours on it, but that was taking my time (and taking frequent breaks since my garage was like a sauna yesterday). The most time consuming part of the whole deal was routing and tie-wrapping the wires for the saddlebag lights. The instructions were less than crystal clear in places, but nothing that couldn't be noodled out if you stopped and thought for a second.

Overall, I'm happy with the whole deal. I think the bike looks great with the Tour-Pak removed. I did replace the stock Limited seat with a stock Street Glide seat. The Limited seat is just too big, and I don't think it looks right. I took the bike out for a short ride today, and I can definitely tell a difference in how the bike feels. Of course, it makes sense that the bike would feel more nimble with the all that weight off the rear end.

I do have a couple of gripes:

Gripe 1: As numerous other threads on here have mentioned, the license plate relocation frame is pretty bad. You end up with the plate sticking straight up above the tail light, and it looks a bit ridiculous. Also (as shown in one of the attached pics, I ended up with a large gap between the bottom part of the fender and the tail light housing. I took it apart a couple of times think I must have screwed something up, but I think it's just the way it is.

Gripe 2: The cable they provide with the antenna relocation kit is about 12-15" too short. The instructions say to route the cable along the saddlebag support bar and then up to the rear part of the area under the seat. There's no way it's long enough for that. I ended up routing it up along the fender stay, and even then it was pretty nearly too short.

Removing the Tour-Pak is now quick and easy....just disconnect the electrical connectors behind the seat, flip the latches on the rack, and lift it off. Putting it back on is a bit more cumbersome. One person could do it, but it's a lot easier if you have a second person to help.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-image1.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-image3.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-image4.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-img_3872.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-img_3873.jpg  

Last edited by ScottKY; 07-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
silveradoman2 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

A few more pics......

Attached Thumbnails Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-img_3875.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-img_3879.jpg   Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)-img_3884.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice! I've wanted to get one for my 14 CVO Ultra but can't justify it since I like the 4 speakers playin instead of two.
Great write up too.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It looks great!

Old 07-19-2015, 07:13 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Kudos to you for taking the time to post your most excellent writeup with photos. My kit is still in the box, so the timing of your writeup couldn't be more perfect. I'm glad I've waited to install mine. Regarding the antenna relocation, the few photos I've looked at in other threads have the antenna located on the opposite side as yours is located. Do you think installing it on the opposite side would have given you more slack in the cable?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Kudos to you for taking the time to post your most excellent writeup with photos. My kit is still in the box, so the timing of your writeup couldn't be more perfect. I'm glad I've waited to install mine. Regarding the antenna relocation, the few photos I've looked at in other threads have the antenna located on the opposite side as yours is located. Do you think installing it on the opposite side would have given you more slack in the cable?
I realized after I was finished that I put the antenna on the "wrong" side. I considered changing it, but I realized that it doesn't really make any difference. And, no, I think the cable would still be short, even if the antenna was on the left side of the bike.

One other tip: the instructions for the run-turn-brake LEDs tell you to dry fit and mark the locations using a grease pencil. I ignored that, and just eyeballed mine, and they're slightly off. The gap on one side is slightly larger than the other. I don't know how noticeable it is at a glance, but it bugs me.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM
cruiserbike
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antennas

You may want to look into the hidden antennas. They hook directly to the radio and cb. (Two different hidden antennas) they are both mounted in the front fairing. Now HD does have the hidden AM/FM antenna, but not a CB one. I had to buy the cb hidden antenna thru J&M. I have both and I do not have any complaints with either one. Then on you tour pak, you can take the two antenna off and cab the metal ends with vacuum caps or what I did was removed both antenna brackets completely. They unscrew apart inside where the leads hook up to or screw onto them. Then you will have two holes in your light bar housing. You can pick up plugs at your local auto parts place and it looks like they were never there.

I agree that the relocation for the license bracket looks out of place.

I have a 15 RGS and added the 4 point quick connect, tour pak, LEDs, passenger's intercom plug and CB. I was lucky and liked the location of the original license plate bracket.

Last edited by cruiserbike; 07-19-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:36 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cruiserbike
You may want to look into the hidden antennas. They hook directly to the radio and cb. (Two different hidden antennas) they are both mounted in the front fairing. Now HD does have the hidden AM/FM antenna, but not a CB one. I had to buy the cb hidden antenna thru J&M. I have both and I do not have any complaints with either one. Then on you tour pak, you can take the two antenna off and cab the metal ends with vacuum caps or what I did was removed both antenna brackets completely. They unscrew apart inside where the leads hook up to or screw onto them. Then you will have two holes in your light bar housing. You can pick up plugs at your local auto parts place and it looks like they were never there.
Thanks for the information. I do plan to look into either shorty antennas or hidden ones at some point.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The cable is fine when installed on left side...

Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
The cable is fine when installed on left side...
The cable I got with my kit most definitely would not have been fine on the left side. Would have needed to follow the exact same path in order to get it up under the seat pan.

Maybe these kits are now shipping with shorter cables?

Quick Reply: Tour-Pak QD Kit Installed - '14 Limited (w/pics)