Sponsored by:

Engine ping

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Engine ping

2015 Ultra Limited with 4700 miles. I have noticed lately that when the bike is at running temp or maybe even a bit hot (it's been mid 90's here) it tends to ping on acceleration. Happens in all gears and even when accelerating in the power band. Seems to be torque related to me. This pinging sound is similar to a car that needs higher octane or an octane booster. Is this normal or should I have it looked at? I only use high quality (well who knows, Shell, Conoco, mostly) and premium of course. All thoughts welcome......thanks

Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a fuel controller installed of any kind? I installed a FL-Vied-10 device on my bike and it runs much better and cooler. My bike is in stock condition. No pinging. I too use Shell premium.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 AM
mchertel
Tourer

I don't have a fuel controller. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Will investigate but a question for you. Did you have some pinging before you installed the controller? Otherwise do people install these for better gas mileage or other reasons generally?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
2015 Ultra Limited with 4700 miles. I have noticed lately that when the bike is at running temp or maybe even a bit hot (it's been mid 90's here) it tends to ping on acceleration. Happens in all gears and even when accelerating in the power band. Seems to be torque related to me. This pinging sound is similar to a car that needs higher octane or an octane booster. Is this normal or should I have it looked at? I only use high quality (well who knows, Shell, Conoco, mostly) and premium of course. All thoughts welcome......thanks
Is the bike stock? If you've added Mufflers, Air Cleaner or headers you may need a new map in the ECM. If not I'd run it back to the dealer.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 AM
mchertel
Tourer

Completely stock. Thanks Vernal, perhaps I will do just that.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

If truly a "ping", something is not right and should be checked. Only time I've heard a ping was last month going up Pikes Peak, running 2 up and fully loaded for vacation and getting behind some VERY SLOOOW tourists on the switch-backs...

That said, I can the lowest octane regular and get by.

Get'er checked out...

Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 AM
mchertel
Tourer

More data I just thought of, during the acceleration and pinging the bike still seems to accelerate fine, it doesn't "skip" or have any "flat spots" just the noise? I guess I should just take it in.

Regarding the Fuel controller I see "The FL-VIED-10 is recommended for motorcycles that have full exhaust system upgrades or stock exhaust headers with catalytic converters removed" stated on the site. Does using this with the stock setup and catalytic converters lower the effectiveness or capabilities of the product then?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Engine ping

You might want to check to make sure the nuts that hold the headpipe to the head are tight. One of the nuts on my front cylinder wasn't even finger tight. The exhaust leak sounded like lifter noise or even a ping. I discovered it when I replaced my headpipe. No knocking or pinging noise now.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 08-08-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
You might want to check to make sure the nuts that hold the headpipe to head are right. One of the nuts on my front cylinder wasn't even figure tight. The eBay leak sounded like lifter noise or even a ping. I discovered it when I replaced my headpipe. No rocking or pinging noise now.
Don't you just love auto fill? How the hell did it get eBay from exhaust?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Don't you just love auto fill? How the hell did it get eBay from exhaust?
I used swipe on my android phone to type the message. I guess I need to proof read before submitting. It had right instead of tight, eBay instead of exhaust, figure instead on finger, and rocking instead of knocking.

I've also noticed when I post from my phone instead of my computer it leaves off my signature.

Best advice is to take it back to the dealer. The ECM uses ION technology to detect pinging and automatically retards the timing up to 4 degrees to stop the ping or knock on the effected cylinder. If your getting a lot of ping on 91+ octane gas it is an issue.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 08-08-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine ping