Sponsored by:

FXRG jacket. Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:16 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default FXRG jacket. Opinions wanted.

I've been looking (longingly) at these jackets for a couple of years now, but that's a lotta $$$ they want for one.

After doing a little research, though, the price seems pretty much in line with most of the other high-end, leather riding jackets out there.

If anybody here owns one of these jackets, I would like to hear your opinion(s) about it.

One thing I have noticed is that they're damn HEAVY!

Thanks in advance,

JP

Old 11-27-2015, 07:39 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

JP I have one and if you do a lot of cold weather riding they are worth the $700 especially with the heavy armor padding they have for protection. I also have a leather HD jacket I believe called the switch back that you can wear in cooler weather and also zip off the leather shell and have two in one.
As far as your question about the FXRG with all you get, the warmth, the protection if needed its worth it.
Before you buy take some time at your HD dealer and take some time to really take a long hard look at all it has.
Lefty

Old 11-27-2015, 07:42 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have one and dont wear it much because how heavy it is. I have heated gear I wear with a mid weight most of the time. Under 30 degrees, its the FXRG. If you want one, look at used.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

The short version: The best jackets I've owned.

The long version:

My wife bought me a Fox Creek Commander II for Christmas a few years back. After shipping it back 2 or 3 times, and visiting their store, they were either unable or unwilling to make a jacket that fit me properly. So I needed a jacket. I'd heard good things about the FXRG, but didn't want to spend FXRG money. Luckily I found an older one on EBAY and picked it up for around $250.

With no fancy numbered sizing, it fit me perfectly. It was crazy comfortable, warm, vented decently, and waterproof. And it looked good. 4 years ago I was hit by a Honda Civic. My bike was totaled, and I was banged up pretty badly. My FXRG jacket protected me from any injury to my torso and arms, and it's still in decent enough shape to wear if I chose to.

So when I looked to replace it, I was all set to get the same thing. They make a new and improved version called the Middle Weight (98518-09VM), but they also have a completely redesigned one (98040-12VM). That was the one I got. Picked it up at a Black Friday sale 2 years ago for 20% off (I think MSRP then was $600; it's gone up since).

The venting is drastically improved. I've ridden in the mid-'80s behind a Batwing and not been too hot. The new liner is very warm (though I rarely use it, I prefer a heated liner). There are a ton of pockets, though again, I rarely use them all. It's got a bunch of reflective surfaces and piping, so it doesn't disappear when riding at night. It's still waterproof.

The fit is on the snug side. When I tried it on initially, I thought the Large would be too small, and the XL a touch too big. I bought the Large in the hope that it would fit right once the leather stretched out. That turned out to be the right call. It's still snug, but that means that the armor is exactly where it's supposed to be and that it won't move out of place in a tumble. I added the back armor as well (I think that was another $30 or so).

I have a lot of gear in my closet.....I have a couple of textile suits, a mesh jacket, and another leather jacket. The FXRG is my go-to for just about everything other than really hot weather or when I'm dual sporting on the KLR. It's a great jacket, and I recommend it with one stipulation...

$700 is an awful lot of money. Yeah, I think it's one of the best jackets you can buy. Yeah, it's actually substantially cheaper than the BMW Atlantis and Aerostich Transit waterproof leather jackets. Yeah, I think it looks awesome. But damn, that's a lot of scratch.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:15 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought mine two years ago, it is not the new one with the space blanket looking inner.

I normally use the kidney belt, just adds a little support and feels good. I start to use it in mid fall. It is a high quality jacket, plenty of pockets, good liner.

If you purchase one you will never have to purchase another unless you grow out of it.

Mine is size large and with the armor in it etc. it provides good protection and warmth.

I bought mine on sale for 495, and i would definitely buy it again at that price.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Gordon Wright
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at other brands and I'm glad I spent the money on the FXRG. I commute 3 hours highway twice a week April thru October middle of Canada ('14 limited). When it's hot the zippered vents work well and jacket panels don't flap all over the place but you still suffer at a red light and wonder why you hooked up the kidney belt, just to sweat more? Rain doesn't seep in or mess with the coat and hail I've run into, couldn't feel it. I've only treated it once.The bike display has shown the coldest to be 6.5 celsius. I've always thought I'd be buying heated gear for spring and autumn but I don't think I will. When I pull over it's for rain pants over the chaps and to button the collar clasp over my very cool scarf, that needs two hands but most zippers can be manipulated easily on the go. The extra pockets are nice considering I'm used to more up front storage. I've forgotten to zip a pocket closed a couple times but thankfully they're deep enough nothing wants to slide out. The only time the coat rides up in the back is if I reach forward to open or close the lower vents, then it works itself in to place again and sits between you and the back seat nicely. The only real negative is it takes most of the trunk when you stop for coffee, just doesn't fold well, and who wants to carry it around? I do want a lighter jacket considering I've never hit the ground but for the last 35 years I think what if? Wasn't meant to sound preachy but there it is.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 305 Likes on 130 Posts

Had a nylon FXRG loved it kept me warm and dry in heavy rain. sold it bought a older style used leather FXRG loved it more. But my brother bought the newest one and I really like that one. So sold the older one bought the newest style Part Number 98040-12VM. It is the best jacket I've ever owned.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the leather perforated and reg leather fxrg jackets and several other lighter weight. Quality, heavy protective jackets. My sense is if you put on a lot of miles its worth it. I wouldn't wear them above 80deg. There are better venting jackets out there although these aren't bad. I agree it's a lot for a jacket but comparing top other brands prob. Competitive unlike some hd stuff!

Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Thanks!

Great info, guys!

Thanks for the help. I'll be trying one on today, although it might take a while to get used to spending that much money and go through with actually buying one!!

Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 AM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

FXRG owned two the 05v now 09v my old one and me slid down the road after a deer tried to go riding with me jacket had some holes missing snaps but i was better off for having it on.... As far as a jacket I thing they are the best. I have had lots of jackets and it versatile waterproof vents okay I would like a new fancy model but got my second one off eBay, looked brand new I think who ever owned it before me did not ride or at least with the jacket.... IMO buy a FXRG. I also own the pants..yes i have regular chaps too.....

Last edited by TOFTS; 11-27-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: FXRG jacket. Opinions wanted.