Sponsored by:

Given the go ahead to tune.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Given the go ahead to tune.

After discussing the tuning procedure for my bike and what it will do, the wife has given the ok to go ahead with it.

I know everyone has different opinions of what to do, so this is what I am thinking right now.

First, I don't need the bike fast! I sold my Super Glide Custom with a 103 Stage 2 kit because I thought I would kill myself on that thing after finding myself shifting into 6th gear at 100mph.

I just want it to run great, and frankly all the prior bikes I have had the stage 1 download at the Harley done with ran great....no problems with them at all.

I have the V&H Dual Slash Cut slip ons. I really like the air cleaner looks of the 2016 Low Rider and Wide Glide, with the 103 High Output emblem. I think I will have to buy the High Airflow air cleaner and then buy the specific chrome air cleaner cover, and emblem from Harley.
It seems to my research the oval air cleaners are all the same (they have three holes to secure it to the backing plate, and one center hole to secure the outer chrome cover) so I would just need the chrome part that will have the indentation to allow the emblem on it. The Screaming Eagle cover indentation is not wide enough to use the 103 emblem.

Then I was looking into the FP3 tuner. I have looked into some other tuners and don't like the idea of all the wiring that needs to be done, and with the FP3, after tuning it, I can remove it from the bike if I want to.
I don't want to get the California unit, because I heard, (don't know if it is true) that the California FP3 only allows two options (maps).
Another concern I have, I will have to look into this, is that I read that the FP3 doesn't have any options for aftermarket cams. (is every cam other than the stock one considered "aftermarket"...even ones from Harley?) I noticed a line on the website that said it was in the process of coming up with maps for aftermarket cams. So I am wondering if I buy this, will the next owner be able to put a cam in the bike down the road and still use the FP3?

Other than that, as soon as I can get these questions answered and get the parts ordered, I will be able to add "Motorcycle Tuning" to my resume!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Do a search on the forum theres millions of threads on tuners. Or you can contact fuel moto and search there site also. Jamie posts on here often and can answer any questions if you contact fuel moto.

Batman

Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Read this thread, especially the post by Fuelmoto.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...o-package.html

And DK posted this which is also good.
http://dkcustomproducts.com/Overview...OV-EFI-OPT.htm

I went with the FP3 and it's very user friendly. Add it to your cart and see the price drop
http://www.easternperformance.com/va...l-dyna-xl.html

Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Download the FPs phone app. Then you will see what it can do.
http://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com/quickstart.html

Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior

I did the phone app and used the demo mode and like the autotune feature.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by flyboyron
After discussing the tuning procedure for my bike and what it will do, the wife has given the ok to go ahead with it.

I know everyone has different opinions of what to do, so this is what I am thinking right now.

First, I don't need the bike fast! I sold my Super Glide Custom with a 103 Stage 2 kit because I thought I would kill myself on that thing after finding myself shifting into 6th gear at 100mph.

I just want it to run great, and frankly all the prior bikes I have had the stage 1 download at the Harley done with ran great....no problems with them at all.

I have the V&H Dual Slash Cut slip ons. I really like the air cleaner looks of the 2016 Low Rider and Wide Glide, with the 103 High Output emblem. I think I will have to buy the High Airflow air cleaner and then buy the specific chrome air cleaner cover, and emblem from Harley.
It seems to my research the oval air cleaners are all the same (they have three holes to secure it to the backing plate, and one center hole to secure the outer chrome cover) so I would just need the chrome part that will have the indentation to allow the emblem on it. The Screaming Eagle cover indentation is not wide enough to use the 103 emblem.

Then I was looking into the FP3 tuner. I have looked into some other tuners and don't like the idea of all the wiring that needs to be done, and with the FP3, after tuning it, I can remove it from the bike if I want to.
I don't want to get the California unit, because I heard, (don't know if it is true) that the California FP3 only allows two options (maps).
Another concern I have, I will have to look into this, is that I read that the FP3 doesn't have any options for aftermarket cams. (is every cam other than the stock one considered "aftermarket"...even ones from Harley?) I noticed a line on the website that said it was in the process of coming up with maps for aftermarket cams. So I am wondering if I buy this, will the next owner be able to put a cam in the bike down the road and still use the FP3?

Other than that, as soon as I can get these questions answered and get the parts ordered, I will be able to add "Motorcycle Tuning" to my resume!
Then you should know the maps support aftermarket cams

Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior

I found the following at Fuel Moto's website...

FuelPak FP3 is a flashed based tuner which gives you basic control of fuel & spark. This product is best suited to Stage 1 modifications such as air cleaner & exhaust. FuelPak FP3 does not support modifications such as aftermarket cams or big bore kits.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

That's right where you lost me. I've never discussed tuning with my wife or waited for permission.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dsm Limited:
bchapman1 (04-13-2016), bigfish_Oh (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Have you looked at DynoJet Power Vision? Very good tuner and simple to use. The auto-tune works well.
Good luck
Bill

Old 04-12-2016, 10:57 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

I found the following at Fuel Moto's website...

FuelPak FP3 is a flashed based tuner which gives you basic control of fuel & spark. This product is best suited to Stage 1 modifications such as air cleaner & exhaust. FuelPak FP3 does not support modifications such as aftermarket cams or big bore kits.
FuelPak FP3is a Vance&Hines product:http://products.vanceandhines.com/store/harley/66005/

Quick Reply: Given the go ahead to tune.