Sponsored by:

heated grip install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:51 PM
dannyb-SGS
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heated grip install

Im thinking about adding heated grips to my 2016 street glide special. I just finished installing a King Tour Pack with side marker lights as well as passenger floor boards, passenger adj pegs, rider highway pegs. It was pretty straight forward with no issues. Im wondering how difficult it is to do the heated grips myself and save about $300 from the dealer. Any info would be great

thanks Danny

Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Read up on the process as much as you can; there's several "install" threads and videos out there. I've installed HD heated grips on both my bikes (and uninstalled, and reinstalled what with several handlebar swaps ... lol) , and it's pretty easy. Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:41 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Try doing a search for heated grip install.

This thread might help https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...d-grips-2.html

Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 AM
dannyb-SGS
Intermediate

I completed my HD heated grips install myself and Im very happy with them. Took it out yesterday for a 45 min ride in 28 degree weather in RI. Had thin leather gloves on and the back of my hands were slightly cool, I had the grips turned up to 6. I did find the HD instructions extremely confusing, so I purchased the $30 video from LAB and watched it a few times. I learned from there mistakes and also that there is a plug already ran to the front of the fairing from the throttle grip to tie the wires into. Only issue with that is HD gives you 2 female plugs to plug into each other. They do give you the male pins and plug to install yourself but rather than do that I went to the HD shop and had them make me a male by male jumper so that I can simply unplug and replace with any new grips if I have issues in the future. 1 more thing I found was that on the inline fuse holder they crimped it onto the wire WITHOUT catching the wire. As I was straigtening the cables the holder came off in my hand. After saying WTF, I cut the other end of the holder loose and I soldered the inline fuse holder in so that I wont have any future issues. I saved over $300 that the dealer said it would cost and Im not sure if they would of found the inline fuse problem. Im glad I did the work and took my time doing it and if I have any problems with them I know what I did.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I installed the basic HD heated grips myself. The instructions that come with the grips are not very good for a DIY, seem to be designed for a shop mechanic who is familiar with the set-up. This is my first HD since 1972, so I was feeling it out. I almost paid $40 for a DVD show but decided to go in myself, thinking it couldn't be THAT hard. And it wasn't.

Study the instructions and read them literally. The hard parts are fishing the cables through the bars, dealing with the throttle hookup, and finding the two plugs inside the faring. Familiarize yourself with tilting the inner faring, so as to give yourself plenty of room to work the cables.

I spent most of an entire day doing this, really taking my time, being careful with my new bike. The grips work perfectly, and come in mighty handy on chilly rides.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Here's a brief writeup I did when installing them on my '15 Limited, including the locations of the plugs.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post14752098

Good luck, you'll love them!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 PM
snipit
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,922 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Here's a brief writeup I did when installing them on my '15 Limited, including the locations of the plugs.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post14752098

Good luck, you'll love them!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...
Good job on the pic and the write-up. It helped a lot to refresh my memory installing them on my Trike. I had them on my '13 limited when I changed the bars out but it was nice to see the pics and write-up.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Kelly Moses
6th Gear

Where did you run the inline fuse to? Also which wire is it attached to? I was given a set of heated grips but they cut all the connectors off so I am flying blind(kind of). I have done pretty extensive research and figured out the majority of everything, but have yet to figure out which color of wire gets the inline. Hopefully with your assistance as to which color has the inline I will be able to start my install!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

WD 40 is your friend! Lube the wires up with it & it makes snaking the wires through the bars soooooo much easier!

The following users liked this post:
jrdinct (04-06-2019)