2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get noticed! New Side Marker Lights as turn indicators???)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Get noticed! New Side Marker Lights as turn indicators???)

Getting the parts together to smoke out the azz end of my limited. As I'm adding the plasma rods to mine, I was browsing through the install threads on the rods and many have said they liked the new rear brake/turn signals that go on the back of the saddlebags more for others being able to see when you're planning on making a turn more than any other reason. I personally don't like the look of them at all and looking at the new 14' parts the thought occurred to me...how about making the new saddlebag side marker lights into running and turn indicators? Me thinks it would be relatively easy to do, you'd just have to modify the wiring harness and connect to the bikes turn signal wiring under the seat no? Anyone else wanna chime in on this? I'm considering being the guinea pig on this one...

Link for reference:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...11-68000083--1

Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a set of amber plasma rods under the floorboards as running light - turn signals. The bag lights have kind of grown on me, I didn't like them at first...

Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I would think you would be able to hook them up as running lights OR as turn signals but not both.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I would think you would be able to hook them up as running lights OR as turn signals but not both.
I'm thinking custom Dynamics might have a module that you could wire in to allow both. I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I'm thinking custom Dynamics might have a module that you could wire in to allow both. I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow.
I don't think those modules work with the canbus on the new bikes. I think you would either have turn/ brake or running. But I've been known to be wrong before.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
I don't think those modules work with the canbus on the new bikes. I think you would either have turn/ brake or running. But I've been known to be wrong before.
Says on the web site fitment is for 2014 models. Probably only works with CAN bus.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hammz
Says on the web site fitment is for 2014 models. Probably only works with CAN bus.
You're talking about the Harley lights. He was referring to the modules that CD offers to allow run/turn operation; and I think he's right.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:30 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom Dynamics TFC3 Dual Converter (about $5) per side will do the trick nicely...see item 6 on these instructions for the Plasma Rods Installation:
http://www.customdynamics.com/instru...sma%20Rods.pdf

edit: Monty...if you notice the Posi-Tap connectors mentioned in the instructions...OMG...they are the sh*t!... Be a good thing to pass on to all of your audio buds...
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Last edited by WildThang; 02-21-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by WildThang
Custom Dynamics TFC3 Dual Converter (about $5) per side will do the trick nicely...see item 6 on these instructions for the Plasma Rods Installation: http://www.customdynamics.com/instru...sma%20Rods.pdf edit: Monty...if you notice the Posi-Tap connectors mentioned in the instructions...OMG...they are the sh*t!... Be a good thing to pass on to all of your audio buds...
Oh trust me brother, I use posi taps and posi locks extensively. I have a whole tackle box tray full of all the different sizes.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I've led a sheltered life as I didn't know about them until I opened my Plasma Rod package the other day.... what a discovery....it is close to another great turning point/discovery in my life when at age 11, I found a Playboy magazine for the first time...

Quick Reply: Get noticed! New Side Marker Lights as turn indicators???)