Sponsored by:

mislead by dealer about Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
seguinp
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mislead by dealer about Bluetooth

Anyone else feel they were mislead by the H-D dealer? I was told that the new system in my 2014 Limited was fully Bluetooth to my Sena SPH10H-FM headset. after purchasing it and riding home I find that it's only Bluetooth friendly to cell phones, the on board GPS only comes over the bikes speakers. I love the bike itself, just extremely disappointed with Boom features, now I have to remount my zumo 660 to have GPS instructions to my Bluetooth headset. come on Harley lets move into the 21st century.....

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think part of your problem is the dealer/salesperson is not fully educated on this issue.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM
tkm
6th Gear

That was my issue. My salesperson just wasn't educated on the issue. He mentioned to me he'd tried two bluetooth headsets and couldn't get either to connect. I had to let him know later (after I found out how terrible Harley engineers are at designing Bluetooth systems) no headsets would work and to make sure future customers weren't as disappointed as me.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want two GPS systems on your bike? Why not just left the commands come out the bike speakers? I have the 4.3 and use the gps on my phone. I just set the route hit go and stick the phone in the fairing pocket. Commands come right thru the speakers and I follow. At least you get the map and commands together.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

I would also think HD will release their own Bluetooth headset that way they make more money...lol

Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your frustration... I knew it wouldn't work when i bought mine, so my plan was always to use a wired headset, its a pain i know, but that was my plan... since l liked the way the Nolan wired headset fit in my Nolan N104 helmet, I purchased it to use with my Limited... on my recent 9 day trip, it broke for the second time ( they use mini usb connectors for the cable ends at the helmet ) its being repaired at there service center, for the second time.
What riders who don't have the wired headset ability yet have the 6.5 system don understand, is that it is designed for voice activated use. almost all of the command functions can be voice activated... on my trip i began to depend on was voice activation for calls, Navigation changes, and locatin POI's ( mostly food ) as we approached cities on our trip..
When my headset malfunctioned it was extremely frustrating, as I would have to use the handle bar controls for some of the functions, and some functions are not accessible in that way when the bike is moving. Since the guys i was riding didn't have CB capability, they all had bluetooth, the only way i could communicate with them was thru phone calls... when headset quit working had to go to hand signals...
The bluetooth limitation ( its the design of bluetooth specification ) is not Harley's fault, and won't be fixed until the industry designs a better Bluetooth spec.
My next trip, i'm going to abandon the built in system for a bluetooth headset and use my phone for everything the head unit does...
Either way, unless you plan on using a wired headset, the built in head unit is useless... I would have still bought this bike, with out the 6.5 head unit for its other improvements, but this is a feature that the marketing leverages heavily as a selling point, yet you loose most of its functionality if you don't use a wired headset...
Now if they could just add bike to bike bluetooth to the 6.5 system, i wouldn't mind the wired headset quite as much...

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

I see your point and it makes me realize just how old school my group is when we travel..lol.. If we need to talk to each other we do it at gas stops, when we pull into a town we usually pull over at a gas station grap a smoke and discuss what's there and what everyone wants to eat. If were driving down the road and someone needs to stop they pull to the front and take the next exit and we follow. Hell we all have gps in either our phones or bikes but we still break out the old riders map when discussing route changes and possibilities...lol... I don't know what I would do if they tried to call me driving down the road...lol

Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seguinp
Anyone else feel they were mislead by the H-D dealer? I was told that the new system in my 2014 Limited was fully Bluetooth to my Sena SPH10H-FM headset. after purchasing it and riding home I find that it's only Bluetooth friendly to cell phones, the on board GPS only comes over the bikes speakers. I love the bike itself, just extremely disappointed with Boom features, now I have to remount my zumo 660 to have GPS instructions to my Bluetooth headset. come on Harley lets move into the 21st century.....
Good lord, waaaaah.....

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM
tkm
6th Gear

Originally Posted by smokingpig
The bluetooth limitation ( its the design of bluetooth specification ) is not Harley's fault, and won't be fixed until the industry designs a better Bluetooth spec.
It isn't a limitation in the Bluetooth spec. Bluetooth supports headsets, it's called headset protocol. Harley failed to implement it in their code. The good news is it's only a software change, IF Harley implements it. Most Garmin GPS do this already. You can connect to it with a Bluetooth headset and it can connect to other devices (like your phone) as a headset itself, all with a single Bluetooth radio. So yes, it is Harley's fault.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by smokingpig
...The bluetooth limitation ( its the design of bluetooth specification ) is not Harley's fault, and won't be fixed until the industry designs a better Bluetooth spec.
Agreed. This is something that most riders and dealers don't understand. The current Bluetooth profiles wouldn't allow full functionality of the system using a Bluetooth headset. There is no "Microphone Only" Bluetooth profile so CB, voice commands to the navigation and radio, iPod, interface with the on board intercom system, etc wouldn't be possible while also interfacing with a telephone via HFP and a music playback device via A2DP. No motorcycle system on the market that can interface with available Bluetooth headsets in the way that many riders assume it will.

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth profiles don't reflect the needs and desires of a motorcycle rider/system. They are designed with cars and telephones in mind. The HD system is just like any car Bluetooth system or Bluetooth helmet, where Bluetooth is used to interface with phones and music devices using the HFP and A2DP profiles only. In the car, the Harley and the Bluetooth helmet systems, the microphone and speakers are hardwired.

Quick Reply: mislead by dealer about Bluetooth