Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Avoiding NY traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avoiding NY traffic

I am trying to decide the best route south around the NY area for our August trip.&nbsp\\; My choices have boiled down to crossing the Hudson at Newburgh and taking 87 south, or crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge.&nbsp\\; Then my next choices are either Rt 287 or the Garden State Parkway to the Jersey Turnpike and Wilmington DE.&nbsp\\; It has been almost 10 years since I have driven those areas, and that was in a car not on a bike.&nbsp\\; (I grew up in Stamford,CT, so am generally familiar with the NE area)&nbsp\\; Once I am past Wilmington DE I am good to go.&nbsp\\; Taking Rt 13 down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. &nbsp\\; I remember how crazy that traffic can be in the Northeast, so any suggestions would be appreciated. &nbsp\\;

gambler

Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
bruinsh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Avoiding NY traffic

to be honest, it all depends on the day.&nbsp\\; Some day one way is bumber to bumber traffic and next next day it is going smooth as can be.&nbsp\\; If I were you I would go on the Tappan Zee Bridge.&nbsp\\; Then go NJTP to exit 9 (new brunswick). get off and get on rt 1 south.&nbsp\\; Go on there for a mile or two and pick up rt 130 south and take that all the way down to Del.&nbsp\\; Its a little slower but there are less people and its a nicer ride.&nbsp\\; But hey thats me

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
gambler
Road Captain

Thanks Bruinsh, that is the kind of info I was looking for.&nbsp\\; Sure beats taking the NJ Turnpike all the way.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
bruinsh
Advanced

yup no problem. Another way is to take either rt 1 (after you get off at exit 9 NJTP) or rt 130 to 295 south.&nbsp\\; 295, 130 and NJTP all meet up on the boarder of Del/NJ.&nbsp\\; One thing I did forget was when u get off at exit 9 (NJTP) it goes into rt 18.&nbsp\\; You want to go northbound.&nbsp\\; I forgot cause your on rt 18 for not even 1 mile.&nbsp\\; When you get on rt 18 N,&nbsp\\;try to get into the middle lane cause the right lane goes rt 1 north and you want to be going south.&nbsp\\; Try googlemaps and look up new brunswick, NJ.&nbsp\\; You'll figure it out and if not, shoot me a Pm

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
gambler
Road Captain

Yeah, I already looked at it on Google maps, and I saw what you are talking about.&nbsp\\; I appreciate it.

Ride Safe.

gambler

Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 328 Posts

If your coming up from FL along I-95, what I did was cut over to I-81 at richmond via I-64.&nbsp\\; Then over to 80, then 209 (delaware watershed route) up to I-84.&nbsp\\; I was headed to NH, so I also took the Taconic pkwy up to the mass pike (I-90).
&nbsp\\;
Dont know exactley where ya headed.
&nbsp\\;
You'll also save a bunch on tolls, there aint none!&nbsp\\; Except for the mass pike.&nbsp\\; It may take a bit longer, but the route is great and more scenery.
&nbsp\\;
good luck

Old 07-05-2008, 05:34 PM
SLP24
Tourer

Anyone ever try the Rt 301 route? It's been YEARS since I used it and I think that it was 301. It was a really nice ride and off the beaten track yet you didn't loose any time.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: glebo

If your coming up from FL along I-95, what I did was cut over to I-81 at richmond via I-64.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Then over to 80, then 209 (delaware watershed route) up to I-84.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was headed to NH, so I also took the Taconic pkwy up to the mass pike (I-90).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Dont know exactley where ya headed.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
You'll also save a bunch on tolls, there aint none!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Except for the mass pike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It may take a bit longer, but the route is great and more scenery.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
good luck
+1 on this route. Rte 209 along the Delaware Watergap is a nice break from interstate traffic. There are no commercial vehilces and 45 mph limit for about 40 miles. Another good way north in NY is Rte 22. Take the Taconic like glebo says and then Rte 44 east (north of Poughkeepsie) to Rte 22 north to I-90.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 AM
SLP24
Tourer

It's the return trip he is talking about. WORD OF CAUTION! He is pulling a trailer and in the Northeast ALL trailers are banned from the Parkways. I have run on the parkways a couple of times with my motorcycle trailer and I never got stopped, but it is STILL a NYS V&amp\\;T violation and a hefty fine if the trooper or sheriff wants to give you a problem.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
gambler
Road Captain

Actually we have decided not to pull the trailer.&nbsp\\; We can pack all we need on the bike, so that will be one less thing to worry about.&nbsp\\; We are planning on going up through the Delaware Watergap as well.&nbsp\\; Probably take RT 7 to Pittsfield then 8 to VT, then east to Keene NH then Maine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

gambler

Quick Reply: Avoiding NY traffic