Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

CT Route 1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 PM
G_Reb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT Route 1?

Heading from Binghamton NY to New Bedford MA then maybe a day trip out to the Cape. Once we get to Danbury CT taking 84, 691, 66 to Middletown then dropping down Rte 9 to the coast. This is where my question is. How is Rte 1 up the coast? Don't want to be going red light to red light but would rather not do Rte 95 either. Advice?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Rt 1 is awful. Light to light and heavy traffic. It gets better as you get closer to Rhode Island.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't want to ride on Rt. 1 in Connecticut. You probably won't enjoy it.

If time is available, I'd rather take a more "northern" route through New York and Connecticut, along Rt 44.

I'd get off Rt 17 around exit 90, take Rt 30 north to Rt 28, Rt 28 to the Kingston bridge.

On the east side of the bridge I'd take Rt 199 to Millerton (left on Rt. 22 and a mile or two to the traffic light in Millerton).

Then I'd get on Rt. 44 east, which will take you all the way past Providence.

You might want to skip around Hartford (I'd suggest 218 n. and east to i-291 to 84, then WEST one exit back to Rt. 44). And you'll need to "work around" Providence as well.

But aside from Hartford and Providence, if you follow the route above you won't hit any cities of any consequence...

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,148 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by G_Reb
Heading from Binghamton NY to New Bedford MA then maybe a day trip out to the Cape. Once we get to Danbury CT taking 84, 691, 66 to Middletown then dropping down Rte 9 to the coast. This is where my question is. How is Rte 1 up the coast? Don't want to be going red light to red light but would rather not do Rte 95 either. Advice?

Thanks
As others noted...Rt 1 can be thick.

BUT...you're taking 9 south (some nice areas off of 9 itself)...and hitting the CT River Bridge right at the bottom of Rt 9...and you'll take the long turn onramp onto I-95 north. Rt 1 is thick as flies on **** WEST of New Haven, it's not bad east of New Haven, and in many areas...all the way east, it's very nice. Once you cross the CT River bridge...exit 70 is at the bottom...you can hit up 156 along the coast, head into Niantic...gorgeous scenery and a nice ride right there. Your last "ugly" stop if you're following Rt 1 is New London...but then you'll cross the New London Bridge (Thames River)...jump over into Groton (nothing nice there)...but I recommend you get off of I-95 at Exit 88...which is Rt 117. Take that south...into Rt 1 again...bear left...and you'll be leaving Groton heading east into Mystic. It's all nice from then on..and into Rhode Island.

I highly recommend sticking to Rt 1 into Rhode Island..and once past Watch Hill/Napatree Point....stick to Rt 1 "A"...which is even nicer and closer to the shore than plain Rt 1. Take that ALLL the way up Rhode Island (small state).

As for The Cape...eh...I'm not a fan. Too touristy...but if you're going sooner than later (pre-peak tourist season)...the traffic will be tolerable. If you hit tourist season...you'll be counting ants on the road...because you're at a complete stop...stuck in traffic. OK..maybe you'll move 10 feet an hour...

Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM
G_Reb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, good info. Might take the Northern route on the way out and Southern route on the way back.