Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Analyses Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Oil Analyses Results

Got the results today. Pretty interesting if you're into this stuff. Here's a bit of a primer to explain what the different elements are for, and then the results. Since this forum's format doesn't seem to support tables, the results will be a bit difficult to read. I will e-mail the results as an attachment to anyone who e-mails me asking for them (pococj@aol.com). The attachment will be in Adobe PDF format. All values are ppm.

Anti-corrosion: Boron, sodium, zinc

Acid neutralizer, cleaning, & dispersants: Magnesium, calcium, boron (acid neutralizer)

Anti-foam: Silicon

Anti-wear: Phosphorus, zinc, molybdenum (friction modifier)

Mobil 1 15w-50 Extended Performance (replacement for "red cap) car oil
Si - 2 Na - 8 Mo - 79 Bo - 281 Ca - 2937 Mg - 17 P - 1223 Zn - 1376

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50
Si - 4 Na - 9 Mo - 91 Bo - 255 Ca - 2648 Mg - 13 P - 1683 Zn - 1823

Harley Davidson Syn 3 20w-50
Si - 5 Na - 0 Mo - 1 Bo - 271 Ca - 1342 Mg - 740 P - 997 Zn - 1068

Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40
Si - 2 Na - 6 Mo - 91 Bo - 248 Ca - 2483 Mg - 12 P - 1663 Zn - 1802

Look at the differences between the HD and V-Twin oils. The V-Twin has a lot more anti-wear components than the HD oil. Everything else pretty much equals out, though HD uses more Magnesium to make up for less Calcium as acid neutralizers. Looks like the V-Twin is the superior oil based on the additive package.

Now compare the V-Twin to the new Mobil 15w-50 car oil. Once again the V-Twin has more anti-wear additives. But the car oil has more acid neutralizers, indicating it could probably go longer between changes.

Something unusual showed up in the amounts of Molybdenum. Moly is a friction modifier, and too much of it could cause clutch slippage if used in an HD primary. Strangely, the V-twin shows more of it than the car oil, though it is recommended for primary use. The HD oil has essentially no moly, which goes with their recommendation of using it in the primary. Based on these analyses of the Mobil 1 oils, I would not have a problem using the car oil in my primary.

My conclusions? Mobil 1 V-Twin is the best of these oils. The slightly lower acid neutralizers than the car oil doesn't really matter if you change oil every 3000 miles. The HD oil is inferior in every respect that matters. You're paying the HD premium if you use it.

I've been using the Mobil 1 15w-50 "red cap" car oil for over 60k miles in my Evo Softail. I chose a synthetic oil for its ability to withstand the extremely high temperatures in Texas. The Mobil 1 car oil more than meets the requirements of an air-cooled HD engine, and is 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the motorcycle oils. I'll switch to the new Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil for my engine, and will also use it in my primary. I'll continue to use a synthetic gear oil, 75w-90, either Castrol or Mobil 1, in my transmission.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Analyses Results

Pretty good information - I'm having the 1K done in less than 2 weeks and I guess they'll use whatever I request. But, after that, I'll probably go with HD stuff untilt the warranty expires. Then, I'll try your recommendations. Thanks for all that work!!

Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM
wild1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have loved to see the regular HD oil in the test. My instructor from a few years ago told us about oil samples that were sent in using new oil. The HD stuff was nasty. This was the non synthetic stuff.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Skip I'm glad to hear from ya, but it's just as I figured it would be, I knew you could use the Redcap with no problem but as you said it was good to find out about the new oil's. If you can go ahead and e-mail me with the result's so I can show my freind who believe's that the HD oil is better, let me also ask a question, isn't the HD oil a semi syn, not a true syn? Thank's again Skip, I am going to stick with Mobil1 v-twin.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

Skip I'm glad to hear from ya, but it's just as I figured it would be, I knew you could use the Redcap with no problem but as you said it was good to find out about the new oil's. If you can go ahead and e-mail me with the result's so I can show my freind who believe's that the HD oil is better, let me also ask a question, isn't the HD oil a semi syn, not a true syn? Thank's again Skip, I am going to stick with Mobil1 v-twin.
I think the HD is legally a synthetic, but not in the same group as Mobil 1. The M1 base stock is "built" from scratch, while the HD base stock is what I call "super-refined" from dino oil. I don't know if that makes it a semi-syn as I've usually seen that term referring to the syn & dino blends.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip,

Muchas Gracias for your report.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the test and the results. Gonna come in real handy to prove to the nipple head at the local bike shop that the HD oil is not the best on the market. [8D]

Old 03-31-2005, 03:31 AM
whiplush
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip, you are the man! I have been waiting on pins and needles for this thread and I thank you for your time spent on educating us all. I believe as soon as I get my 1000 mile service on the books I'll go to the Mobil 1 car oil as well. I wouldn't mind going to the V-twin version and paying a little more but the car oil is just so much easier to come by. I saw some at Wal-Mart the other day and could swear they had it by the gallon as well as by the quart. When the Mobil car oil smokes the HD oil by such a large margin then I figure the Mobil car will be fine. One question though, is the Mobil syn gear oil as easily availible? I don't remember seeing that at Wal-Mart.

Thanks again Skip![sm=hail.gif]

Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Skip. This is a tremendous help for all of us.
BTW, In your extensive testing, did you find any that came in a chrome can?

Old 03-31-2005, 08:27 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whiplush

Skip, you are the man! I have been waiting on pins and needles for this thread and I thank you for your time spent on educating us all. I believe as soon as I get my 1000 mile service on the books I'll go to the Mobil 1 car oil as well. I wouldn't mind going to the V-twin version and paying a little more but the car oil is just so much easier to come by. I saw some at Wal-Mart the other day and could swear they had it by the gallon as well as by the quart. When the Mobil car oil smokes the HD oil by such a large margin then I figure the Mobil car will be fine. One question though, is the Mobil syn gear oil as easily availible? I don't remember seeing that at Wal-Mart.

Thanks again Skip![sm=hail.gif]
I haven't seen the M1 gear oil at wally-World. I usually get it at Auto Zone or one of the other cheapo car parts joints.

Quick Reply: Oil Analyses Results