Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

The Right Way to change your sporty's Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Right Way to change your sporty's Oil Filter

Well went to change my 05 sportsters oil / filter for the first time today and I thought I would share my experience with you guys. Draining the oil is a no brainer. Pull the tube down from the frame, remove the plug and drain into your oil drain pan.

The Filter is another story. I'm thinking how do I get it off Without getting oil all over the front of the engine and frame. Well first I took a 10x10 piece of aluminum foil and put it under the bottom of the oil filter as far as it would go and then formed it to the contors of the motor so if any spilled it would get on the foil and not my motor.

I then took a piece of simple poster board about 10x16 and folded it into a half moon shape and slide this up under the oil filter as far as I could get it with the Other end of this " valley " pointing into my oil drain pan. Took my oil wrench and slide it on the end of the filter and loosned it just a nudge.

Once it was losened I simply uncrewed it as fast as I could to get it off. I'm SO FREAKING GLAD I did this.

The Reason being once I broke the seal between the motor and the filter I had about 4 to 8 onces of used oil come running out right down my cardbord valley right into the drain pan instead of on my motor & Frame.

Once I had the filter off I pulled the cardboard out and looked at the aluiminum foil underneath. It had oil on it too. Not much but too much to be on the engine. Pulled the foil away and you know what. I Didnt have A Single Drop of Used motor oil on my engine. Thats right, Not a Single drop. How's that for Slick

I then stuffed a rag in the opening while I got the new filter ready. I did this by pouring fresh oil into the new filter untill it had soaked it up and there was just enough left so it wouldnt spill when I tipped it to screw it on. No fuss and No Mess. I'm dam proud of myself if you must know. Buttoned everything up and test rode.

To all of you who went to spin off your filter and had Used Oil run all over your nice engine, Well sorry man I know it must have hurt and been a major cleanup job.

L8tr

LV

Old 12-30-2004, 02:44 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Right Way to change your sporty's Oil Filter

That's the long way...

Just take it to the dealer and it gets done magically while I wait. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Of course, it's easy for me to say because instead of getting store credit I got regular scheduled maintenance thrown into my deal when I bought the bike. Agree on the price and say, "now throw in the 36 months of maintenance and we got a deal." [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 12-30-2004, 04:39 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

That's the long way...

Just take it to the dealer and it gets done magically while I wait. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Of course, it's easy for me to say because instead of getting store credit I got regular scheduled maintenance thrown into my deal when I bought the bike. Agree on the price and say, "now throw in the 36 months of maintenance and we got a deal." [sm=goodidea.gif]

Nice

Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lordvngr,

Harley actually makes a peice of plastic that does the same thing. Good for you for figuring a way around it. That way you can give them money for something you can actually put on the bike.
We can start calling you the helpful hardware man.

David

Old 12-31-2004, 01:56 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Stones,

My brother got the same deal through his dealership...mine nearly laughed at me.

Good for you!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mac

Old 12-31-2004, 11:22 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I change oil in bikes all the time, both mine and customers. Since time is an issue, I dont worry that much about oil running down the front of the motor. A can of carburetor cleaner will quickly clean up the mess from the filter.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy
A can of carburetor cleaner will quickly clean up the mess from the filter.
No damage to anything else? (Paint, chrome, aluminum, plastic...)

Mac

Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: breaknbad

Lordvngr,

Harley actually makes a peice of plastic that does the same thing. Good for you for figuring a way around it. That way you can give them money for something you can actually put on the bike.
We can start calling you the helpful hardware man.

David
I've seen these for Other bikes but not sportsters

LV

Old 12-31-2004, 07:19 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy

I change oil in bikes all the time, both mine and customers. Since time is an issue, I dont worry that much about oil running down the front of the motor. A can of carburetor cleaner will quickly clean up the mess from the filter.
I guess I could see this in a shop But since it Is My Bike I prefer to take the few Extra Minutes Before and not After dealing with the Mess. Personnaly I'f I watched a Mechanic Dump oil All the down front of my motor and then Spray Carb Cleaner all over Trying to clean it Which I'm sure doesnt get Everything I'd be aaa "A little Iritatied" An Probably wouldnt go back to that shop again. I guess that's Why I try and do all my own work

LV

Old 01-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Carb cleaner wont hurt the finish on your motor or frame, however I wouldnt recommend getting it on your finish paint or plastic parts. Lordvngr, if you are that **** about your ride you should do the work yourself, nothing is more unprofessional than to have motoroil run down from a poorly placed oilfilter on to your delicate motor.

Quick Reply: The Right Way to change your sporty's Oil Filter