Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Classic > Panhead
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

P

Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Default 65 Pan setting points and timing

After more than a year and several thousand dollars, my brother got his 65 Electra Glide FLH back. not running and minus his shop manual. New manual has been ordered but it is very painful to watch him look at his bike in my garage. I am an auto mechanic trying to trouble shoot this no start motorcycle. Help is definitely in order. He was told that points had been set but not timing but after seeing other flaws all is in doubt. Seems to me like a timing or point problem. Is there a web site with instructions on stabbing dist, setting points and timing? Here is my concept of how this should be done.... Point rider at high point of dist lobe, gap at .020...Test lamp on positive point side, dist shaft turned clockwise till stops. Turn timing assy until points close and circuit is grounded. tighten timing assy. Seems like it is trying to start but wont. both plugs getting spark. fuel is there and so is compression. Of course starter was not rebuilt as promised so legs are getting tired. Prompt help may prevent cross country trip to choke cousin and son who did most of the work.

Kerry
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 65 Pan setting points and timing

Kerry.......Ironheads are my speciality, but I may be able to help you out some with regards to the panhead ignition/timing issues you have. I have the factory manual section (10 pages) on this subject.
I cannot attach this here on the forum, but if you email me with your request I will be glad to scan the pages and send it to you as a PDF file attachment to a return email. Just let me know............piniongear wb_perry@yahoo.com

Rolling down the highway on two wheels since 1957...
Owner Red/White 1971 XLCH & 2003 FXDL-Silver over Black

Old 07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Hang Around
Send a message via Yahoo to rigidpanman

beautiful ironhead
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks ridgidpanman......Yes, I was pretty pleased with the restoration I did. If you are curious about how it looked when I started, go over to Bike of the Month contest and click on my gallery. A member nominated my bike and after that was seconded it was entered. Surprised me to say the least.

Rolling down the highway on two wheels since 1957...
Owner Red/White 1971 XLCH & 2003 FXDL-Silver over Black

Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 PM

P