Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

OEM vs. Repro frames and other hard parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 PM
panheadguy87
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vs. Repro frames and other hard parts

I am shopping around for a wishbone frame for a build and I see quite few options out there. There is of course used OEM which is typically pretty pricey and then there is the aftermarket stuff which seems more affordable (and virgin at that). What is the difference? Have there been any reliability or fitment issues with the repro stuff? Do the frames truly appear to be identical? What's the scoop in general on the repro hard parts? I do want my panhead to be as reliable (don't laugh!) as is possible so I insist on selecting the best equipment available. I do not however want to have a bike that looks like its been built up with knock off gear.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadguy87
I am shopping around for a wishbone frame for a build and I see quite few options out there. There is of course used OEM which is typically pretty pricey and then there is the aftermarket stuff which seems more affordable (and virgin at that). What is the difference? Have there been any reliability or fitment issues with the repro stuff? Do the frames truly appear to be identical? What's the scoop in general on the repro hard parts? I do want my panhead to be as reliable (don't laugh!) as is possible so I insist on selecting the best equipment available. I do not however want to have a bike that looks like its been built up with knock off gear.
Only person gonna laugh is some fool who has never ridden a pan or never understood that 'routine maintenance' is required more often on Pans/Shovels.

Still on the same 65 Pan since late '70...'nuff said on that.

Biggest problem with frames coming from places likde V-Twin is that all frames are not created equal (realize this is C h i n k $ h i t ). If the inspector is hovering over the frame maker, you will most likely get a decent frame; if not your tranny or engine coule be misaligned because of mouting tabs, or your gas tanks may not fit because the tabs simply do not align (and that could be just the start of your fitment problems).

OEM frames that have not been tampered with are few, far between, and expensive.

Think it just comes down to what you are willing to pay for and what you have the ability to un-***** (bastardized OEM frame that has been cut vs Tedds that may or may not fit properly to specs).

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-14-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to build a bobber or chopper type Pan, and you aren't a self made millionaire or fortunate to have a big family trust fund under your belt, then IMHO it's not worth paying the big bucks for only OEM stuff. You're better off getting what OEM stuff you can when you can find it at a reasonable price (which is almost impossible now-a-days) and mix it with the best re-pop stuff you can find.

Reality is you will be doing a lot of machine work to get re-pop stuff to work right. The little experience I have with these bikes has taught me that. Almost every re-pop part on my bike when I got it, or got after the fact, didn't fit or function correctly.

If your goal is to build a correct-original type Pan, then I think you'd be better off buying a correct Pan already put together, it will be expensive, but much cheaper than piecing a bike together with original parts. Old timers are making big bucks selling off their old stashed of OEM parts and a few people are buying old unmolested Pans and parting them out on ebay, etc...selling the stuff for big bucks, and getting it. It's big business now and a lot of it is overseas buyers driving up the prices. That's just the reality, especially with the dollar getting weaker and weaker...an OEM frame that might sell for 4 grand on eBay is only a half that cost for some people overseas given the currency exchange these days.

Panheads, and especially Knuckleheads, that are in original condition...are quickly getting out of reach for most working class folks. It's sad, but true.

You can build a really nice Pan with the right re-pop stuff...only the purest will ever notice.

Last edited by JayDee5150; 08-16-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

all true what was said - knuckels in original paint un touched this year at the AMCA events were asking 60,000 plus and a restored 99 point 54 pan the guy turned down 48,000 for it

S&S makes a low compression kick start only pan motor - OEM trans ratchet top will cost more to restore than a new china unit But you have something when its redone - this web site and company will build you exactly what you want in a frame

- http://www.paughco.com/ -

i have used them in the past 40 years and we like the stuff they make - also the pan stuff they sell and they have Lots of it had been made in calif but that might have changed

try to stay away from taiwan tedds stuff ( V Twin ) its awfull and most do not know its mostly seconds off the china line almost not worth the weight in metal scrap

3500 was a price to re do an original pan some years back today 5 to 7 and even more is needed as the morons have hammered them into the pavement is the quest to make more on a re sale - the ones we see showing up today WOW nothing is saveable

good luck on your adventure

Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDee5150

Old timers are making big bucks selling off their old stashed of OEM parts and a few people are buying old unmolested Pans and parting them out on ebay, etc...selling the stuff for big bucks, and getting it. It's big business now and a lot of it is overseas buyers driving up the prices. That's just the reality, especially with the dollar getting weaker and weaker..
What a sad state of affairs. I can see old timers sellin stuff to help pay bills but buying old classic bikes to part out on Ebay..............Damn shame.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by lownslow
What a sad state of affairs. I can see old timers sellin stuff to help pay bills but buying old classic bikes to part out on Ebay..............Damn shame.
its not the old timers - its the young guys who have no knowledge of what we owned and care about they see it as quick cash, and do not care one bit about passing the stuff down -- just my take as i am a vender at the AMCA events and i see it fiirst hand

Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting take John. It's kinda the same with old cars and trucks that to us are like art. Very few of the younger generation see them as anything more than 4 wheels and a motor.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Zim
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on weather you want a real antique, or a counterfeit.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zim
Depends on weather you want a real antique, or a counterfeit.
Only the lucky who were in the game back in the day, have a bike passed down through the family, had a super luck word of mouth find in the back woods somewhere, or just plain wealthy will have the real antique anymore.

I don't think i'll ever be able to stomach paying the price for what these bike are selling for anymore. You can buy a classic car of the same year for less...guess it just is what it is. Some of the original paint, unrestored-unmolested Knuckleheads are fetching closer and closer to the 100k mark.

I think a 40 Knucklehead even sold for well over 100k not to long ago.

At lease Pans are still somewhat attainable without refinancing the house...but that probably won't last for long either.

Last edited by JayDee5150; 08-23-2014 at 10:16 PM.