Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2012 Electra Glide Primary(?) noise when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 02:16 PM
dCon0ne
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Electra Glide Primary(?) noise when Cold

So I have a Stock '12 EGC w/29,000 miles, running AMSOIL all around, that making noise when I first start it up cold. And the noise usually last about 5 minutes(or about 5 miles), and goes away after the motor is warmed up. The noise is really noticeable when I let off the throttle to shift.

At first, I though it was the Lifters, so I replaced them with S&S Standard Lifter, and a set of S&S Adjustable Push Rods. This seemed to help out a little, now the noise goes away in about 2 minutes( or about 2 miles). And is still really noticeable when backing off the throttle.

So I just finished removing the Primary cover, to do an inspection. And found what looks like NORMAL Wear on the Compensator(The valley's are shinny), the Chain Tensioner has just the 3 groove for the Chain, but other then that, looks Good. And the Splines on Both Shafts look Good.

As a side issue
I have always had issues, since day one, NEVER finding Neutral. I could only shift into Neutral while the bike was rolling and that was rear. But @ about 15k miles, the clutch started to slip, when @ the high side of 5th gear. I did some research here, and adjusted the clutch, which fixed the slipping. But I still have issued finding Neutral, now I can hit Neutral, maybe once ever 20 times. If the bike is rolling, maybe a little better.

But, the noise is what is really bugging me. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 AM
grasmo
Advanced

Try lowering the amount of fluid in your primary....say for example you put in 1 quart.....try only putting in 26 ounces....should make a huge difference .

Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

95% of the time finding neutral is a clutch issue, you want at least .080 of clutch push rod travel. Put a dial indicator on the pressure plate and pull the clutch lever in to check your travel.
My first guess on the noise is compensator.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 PM
dCon0ne
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grasmo
Try lowering the amount of fluid in your primary....say for example you put in 1 quart.....try only putting in 26 ounces....should make a huge difference .
I guess it can't hurt to give that a try, this weekend.

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
95% of the time finding neutral is a clutch issue, you want at least .080 of clutch push rod travel. Put a dial indicator on the pressure plate and pull the clutch lever in to check your travel.
My first guess on the noise is compensator.
Trying to understand, How would the compensator make noise??

Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dCon0ne

Trying to understand, How would the compensator make noise??
Pretty common for the spring pack to fail then you are left with no pre-load. Now the sprocket is loose and rattling.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM
dCon0ne
6th Gear

Edited

Last edited by dCon0ne; 10-23-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:06 AM
dCon0ne
6th Gear

Ok, so is safe to assume that, when I went to remove the Bolt that holds the comp on. I had to use a lot of force, before the comp moved a little over half of it's travel up one side of it slope, when the bolt broke free. That my spring pack and comp are good??? I was using a 30" Breaker Bar to remove the bolt.

I do have the newer version comp, the one with 2 large, 2 medium, and 1 small spring washers.

Is there a good way to test the springs???

Old 10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dCon0ne
Ok, so is safe to assume that, when I went to remove the Bolt that holds the comp on. I had to use a lot of force, before the comp moved a little over half of it's travel up one side of it slope, when the bolt broke free. That my spring pack and comp are good??? I was using a 30" Breaker Bar to remove the bolt.

I do have the newer version comp, the one with 2 large, 2 medium, and 1 small spring washers.

Is there a good way to test the springs???
Here is a quick test: With the bike in first gear, grab the front brake like you are going to do a burnout. Let the clutch out about half way or right to the end of the friction zone and give it a little throttle. If it starts knocking the comp is going bad.