Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans oil level on a lift is.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:33 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Trans oil level on a lift is.....

What's the correct trans oil level on a 2012 6 speed touring when bike is level up on a lift? I'm surprised to see no indications on dipstick for jiffy stand or up right level marks like on engine dipstick.... Strange!

Appreciate it!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

My understanding bike level dipstick resting on threads (not threaded in).
On stand ,threaded in.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
My understanding bike level dipstick resting on threads (not threaded in).
On stand ,threaded in.
Thanks Weeboy1 as my bike is somewhat apart and up in the air on a lift, I have no way of knowing what the correct oil level in the transmission. If someone can state 1/8" below fill mark, or 3/16" above as a reference then I can check it off my things to complete list.

Bottom line: Can always wait until everything else is completed and when my scoot get's back on the ground then will check trans level on jiffy stand.

Was just changing all my oils at one time, and wanted to get that task completed, that all.

Appreciate it!

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Does your manual list the capacity in ounces? Just ad that amount or a few ounces less until you get it back down on the ground. Then recheck. YD

Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

It should be checked in the upright position with the dipstick resting on the threads. Easiest thing to do is drain it and refill it with 32oz.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
It should be checked in the upright position with the dipstick resting on the threads. Easiest thing to do is drain it and refill it with 32oz.
Can see what you have just stated is not what my manual states, 2012 touring service manual has trans level at 28oz to be checked on jiffy stand on a level surface. (not sure if the additional 4oz will become a problem or not).

I poured approx. 3/4 of a quart of Red Line Shock Proof in trans showing no oil on dipstick as I currently have no reference on lift, when my cam upgrades become completed will return back to ground checking trans level as per service manual outlined above.

If I could steal my wife's measuring cup, can pour out 4oz into measuring cup, the rest into trans, done! Buuuut if she found out I committed this atrocity she will hide my beer!!! Not a good idea....

B Bop

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 02-21-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 AM
-deuced-
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
..........................my manual states..........................to be checked on jiffy stand on a level surface..................
Leave the 3/4 quart in and when you've finished on the lift set the bike on the jiffy stand on level ground and check the level by resting the dipstick on the start of the threads as per the SM. Adjust the fluid level to between the add and the full marks. Post a pic of your dipstick and we can point out where the add and full marks are. Perhaps you should also place a strip of masking tape across your ignition switch and write "do not start, check oil" on it. I've got a couple of different sized and scaled measuring jugs that live in the shed. Should be able to find some at the dollar shop. I prefer to keep my chemical and foodstuff utensils separate.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned

The 28oz thing is baffling me, I just went through multiple years of the cruise drive Harley Service manuals and they all say 32oz in multiple locations.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:19 PM
-deuced-
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
The 28oz thing is baffling me, I just went through multiple years of the cruise drive Harley Service manuals and they all say 32oz in multiple locations.

​​​32oz capacity. I interpret the text in your pics to mean to add fluid until you reach the amount of 32oz, not drain and then add another 32oz. There's going to be some residual fluid after draining. Pour 32oz into a new, dry trans.

OP says there's no marks on his dipstick. If it's HD, it might not have the words "add" and "full" but there will be indication marks.
It's my understanding that '12 touring models the trans fluid level is to be checked with the bike on the side stand, dipstick resting on top of trans threads.
It's my understanding that '13 touring models the trans fluid level is to be checked with the bike on the side stand, dipstick screwed in until o-ring is touching top of trans threads.
That little change in procedure will affect capacity but I'm getting off topic.

The 28oz thing is just to get you close, then top it off according to the dipstick, MY12 bike on jiffy stand and level ground. Guess I just blew away my discount

Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by -deuced-
​​​32oz capacity. I interpret the text in your pics to mean to add fluid until you reach the amount of 32oz, not drain and then add another 32oz. There's going to be some residual fluid after draining. Pour 32oz into a new, dry trans.

OP says there's no marks on his dipstick. If it's HD, it might not have the words "add" and "full" but there will be indication marks.
It's my understanding that '12 touring models the trans fluid level is to be checked with the bike on the side stand, dipstick resting on top of trans threads.
It's my understanding that '13 touring models the trans fluid level is to be checked with the bike on the side stand, dipstick screwed in until o-ring is touching top of trans threads.
That little change in procedure will affect capacity but I'm getting off topic.

The 28oz thing is just to get you close, then top it off according to the dipstick, MY12 bike on jiffy stand and level ground. Guess I just blew away my discount
Residual after draining is minimal we are talking a tablespoon maybe more if you use redline. 1/2 hour of drain time and a minute of leaning the bike to the right you will remove all but a thin layer on the internals.

Can't understand why the procedure would be different, it's the same case (same capacity) same dipstick. Maybe Harley got it wrong in the first place and changed the procedure to fix their Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Uniform Papa.

Quick Reply: Trans oil level on a lift is.....