Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by: Baker Drivetrain

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Hang Around
Default Inner Primary replacement

Would like some advise and question answered about pulling the inner primary and replacing with a chrome one.
Bike is a 2001 Fatboy.
The only instructions I have relates to drive belt replacement from my shop manual which discusses the removal of primary chain, clutch right down to inner primary. But do I have to remove the rear wheel to do inner primary change?
What should I be aware of as far as any seals to be replaced, bearing issues.
Any tips?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Do you have the HD factory service manual? If not get one because mine shows very detailed instructions on IP removal & replacement with gaskets and sealing fasteners.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Prospect

You don't have to remove the rear wheel to replace the inner primary. The belt is attached to the trans. sproket, which is not a part of th inner primary. Rule of thumb on seals, every time you can replace a seal, do so. In your case it would be the shifter shaft seal, inner primary seal and jack shaft seal. Also, be sure you use silicone on the back side of the primary where the bolts attach to the engine case. Or else you will have weepage along the threads of the bolts. You do need to get a service manual, there are torque specifics you need to adhere to. ( don't forget the clutch hub nut is left hand threads, many a mechanic has runined a knuckle or worse because they didn't know this). Guess what ? in 2007 and later the nut is right hand threads. See why you need a manual.

Stroker
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Also, some of the fasteners are "sealing fasteners" that are only to be used one time as they stretch when you torque them in. So if you have those you will need to get new ones.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Hang Around

test test
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 PM

P

Tags
2007, buy, case, chain, davidson, harley, hd, primary, problems, removal, remove, replace, replacement, seal, sealing, shovelhead