Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner primary main shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner primary main shaft seal

How difficult/complex is replacing the inner primary main shaft seal?

I've developed an oil leak, and I'm pretty sure this is the culprit.

complex job? need special tools?

I do have a manual, forgot to read this section last nite...

Thanks

Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Someone on here said if you start on the right side, is easier to get to? Not sure. Think it has to do with the bike leaning on the stand.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you have to pull the clutch and compensator so you'll need the sockets for that, something to lock the primary chain with, loctite and a torque wrench for reassembly and I find an air impact really useful for removing the clutch and compensator!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Pretty straight forward job, no special tools needed. Remove the outer cover, pull the clutch, compensator and primary chain, remove the inner primary and pop in a new seal.
I'd replace the shifter shaft seal while I was in there....Then put it back together and go for a ride.
For someone that's familiar with the job it takes about 2 hours, for someone that's never done one, plan on 3 to 4 hours.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowchrome
Well, you have to pull the clutch and compensator so you'll need the sockets for that, something to lock the primary chain with, loctite and a torque wrench for reassembly and I find an air impact really useful for removing the clutch and compensator!
When you figure out why the magnets keep separating from your rotor, you will stop using that impact wrench on both the compensator and clutch nuts...

Get a strong breaker bar and a cheater pipe, works without causing harm.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
When you figure out why the magnets keep separating from your rotor, you will stop using that impact wrench on both the compensator and clutch nuts...

Get a strong breaker bar and a cheater pipe, works without causing harm.
YUP! Good advice. Read the manual, take your time, don't cut corners. These thangs aint rocket science, you can do it.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 AM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you've removed the inner primary, dont forget to check the race and make sure it hasnt walked toward the pulley. If so, all your hard work and new seals will be futile.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by aclass
Once you've removed the inner primary, dont forget to check the race and make sure it hasnt walked toward the pulley. If so, all your hard work and new seals will be futile.
Good advice, I usually just replace the whole mess with the Baker inner primary bearing set up, it's a much better design.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Check your belt and your final drive pulley teeth while your in there. If the pulley teeth are rounded off it will strip eventually. I've seen it happen to 2 friends while we were out on the road. Those guys ride hard though. They had to get picked up.

Incidentally, make sure you don't over tighten your belt. That can be a root cause of seal failure.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cromagnon

Incidentally, make sure you don't over tighten your belt. That can be a root cause of seal failure.

aw crap.....this may be self-inflicted then.....when I took the rear wheel off earlier this summer, I adjusted the belt tension per the manual (up on a lift). when the bike was back on the ground the belt felt a lot tighter, but since the manual said to adjust the tension on a lift, I left it....

Quick Reply: Inner primary main shaft seal