Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
07DYNAGLIDE
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny pulley removal

I have the tool to remove the left hand threaded pulley/sprocket nut, but how's the best way to back up the pulley to keep it from turning?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a final drive sprocket locking tool. The part number is HD-46282.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DYNAGLIDE
I have the tool to remove the left hand threaded pulley/sprocket nut, but how's the best way to back up the pulley to keep it from turning?
If your working on a '07 Dyna the trans pulley nut is right hand thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser
Default Tool # HD-46282 Where to buy?

Originally Posted by 07DYNAGLIDE
I too have the big socket tool and pilot but still need to somehow clamp down my pulley while torquing and pulling off the sprocket...Anyone know why this clamp is so scarce?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Most of the time with heat and an impact you do not need the tool. If you do need it you can get it from us or http://www.georges-garage.com/ will be less expensive. Most of the time I just grab the pulley with a rag crank the gun all the way up and hit it. You will find that the ratcheting action of the impact is really not that tuff to hang on to.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Most of the time with heat and an impact you do not need the tool. If you do need it you can get it from us or http://www.georges-garage.com/ will be less expensive. Most of the time I just grab the pulley with a rag crank the gun all the way up and hit it. You will find that the ratcheting action of the impact is really not that tuff to hang on to.
It's interesting that this nut can actually be quite loose and still give people problems. Think it's the size of impact. I have a 3/4 drive one that pops it with no problem. Having it tied to the drive belt seems to make it harder since that absorbs the impacts. The guy on a recent post said he heated the pulley up red till he melted the belt.. Of course in a few weeks he will be complaining about the quad seal leaking? HA

see post 17 in

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-moved-up.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-29-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
CTRICH57
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the special deep socket with home made pulley lock tool. Air impact did nothing so out came the 24" pipe wrench and 4' cheter bar and alot of pressure. I think some of these nuts just get overtightened from factory.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I have had mine off twice in two years. The first time it came off with my cordless 18v 3/8 drive impact and I put it back on with the same impact. This year it took heat and a 3/4" air impact to get it off. Time and tide.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser
Default Rear Belt Replacement

First I'd like to thank all the people who responded to my tidbit yesterday...but I got impatient and ordered the HD-46282 from them...I'll call today and see if it is not too late to cancel. HD wants $134.95 for their tool. I guess it is worth it because it is anodized orange and says "Screaming Eagle" on it. And now with all this new information it sound like I don't need the tool anyway. Maybe that is why HD never stocks it.

There's a new video on youtube.c_m where Randal shows us how to replace the belt...great video by the way
"Replacing the Secondary Drive Belt." by Randal C....anyway, Randal says he hoped it could be done without the rear wheel removal; but he never really said if he did or not. I have my wheel off anyway, which is how I got into this mess in the first place...got a new tire put on and noticed the Rear Pulley looking not too healthy...the manual says the Pulley Wear can be "subjective" but I could feel with my fingernail a cutting pattern into the front and rear pulley's starting to leave a squared pattern on the teeth. I'm leaving in March down to Bike Week from Seattle...hence the tire...don't wanna be stranded in El Paso needing a belt there. I put a new rear wheel bearing in for good measure...the bike has 50,000miles.

But I'd like to put the wheel back on so I can take it out for a little trip to bring it up to operating temp before I drain ALL the fluids. I need to replace the Primary Oil anyway, but I was going to wait till after I had the back wheel installed so I can start the bike and get it up to operating temp and get maximum dirtage out.

It's no big deal to take the wheel off, it only takes a few minutes as you all know, but it is a pain in the **** to put it back on if you only do this as infrequent as I. SO, my question is: Can I leave the rear wheel on for this belt removal? It looks to me that if Randal is right and I do not have to fully remove the Swing Arm and I can get the belt to squeeze between the Frame and Swing Arm and that Spacer and around the already detached lower of the rear shock; then it would save me from having to fully remove the wheel...then adjust the belt when I'm all done?

I would like to try to video the points that maybe Randal left out...his is a good video, but not a tell all. Thanks Randal and thanks to all the other contributors. Randal said he looked on Youtube first and could not find any footage at all and I have spent two nights looking for more info and Randal is right.

Last edited by Outlaw7x77; 01-16-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

On a dyna , you won't have to remove the rear wheel, although you have, nor will you have to remove or drop the swing arm; just remove the shock.

Quick Reply: Tranny pulley removal