Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:43 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches.

Service and Repair of Clutches.

Becuse clutches are engaged and disengaged each time the transmission gears are shifted clutch componants have a tendancy to wear. Additionaly, the clutch parts preform the diffucult job of locking the power output of the engine to the transmission and then to the drive wheel.

I can't overemphasize the importance of correctly servicing clutch componants. Proper adjustment of the release lever, cable, release rod, spring pressure and so forth determines how long the clutch performs satisfactorly.

Common Clutch Problems

1. A clutch that slips: Clutch slippage occurs when the clutch doesn't have the ability to transfer all of the engines power flow.

Possible causes:

Improper adjustment
Weak clutch springs
Worn clutch plates.

2. Clutch Drag: Clutch drag occurs when the clutch is unable to fully disengage. Clutch drag is evident when the engine power can?t be disengaged from the rear wheel. An example of this condition is when you squeeze the clutch lever and the motorcycle still tries to move forward.

Possible causes :

Warped or binding clutch plates
A worn clutch outer or clutch center
Improper clutch adjustment
Worn release mechanism

Clutch Adjustment

The Proper sequence for clutch adjustment is

Adjust the release mechanism at the engine.
Adjust the cable play at the clutch lever
As Discussed above, clutches that drag (don't fully disengage) prevent smooth shifting of transmission gears; clutches that slip (don't fully engage) won't transmit all available engine power to the transmission. sometimes either one of these conditions can be corrected by making simple clutch adjustments
These problems may be caused by

Not enough Cable Movement at the handle bar lever
Improper cable adjustment
Improper release rod adjustment
Improper spring tension
These Problems may be interrelated. The following items must be checked to ensure correct adjustment of each part

Lever Movement.
You should be sure that the clutch lever on the handlebar isn't bent and has as much movement as it was designed to have. You should also be sure that the lever doesn't contact the handlebar grip before the inner clutch cable has been pulled to its maximum extension

Improper Cable Adjustment.
You must adjust the cable so that it has 1/16 to 3/16 inch play, that is, so that the lever on the handlebar can be depressed 1/16 inch to 3/16 in before the pressure of the clutch spring resisting release can be felt. Take the measurement from where the cable attaches to the handlebar lever. Adjust the cable by turning the adjuster at either end of the cable. Turn the adjuster in for more play out for less play. If the play is measured out at the end of the clutch lever, The measurement should be 1 to 1 1/4

Improper release rod adjustment. The release rod adjustment must allow enough play in the release rod to allow the springs to expand, but not to much play or the rod won't move far enough to relieve the pressure from the clutch plates. To adjust the release rod, you must first disconnect the clutch cable from the release rod lever located on the engine cover case. Next, you must adjust the release rod screw so that pressure is applied against the springs. Then you must readjust the adjustment screw to allow for the manufacturer's recommended play for the release rod lever. You should be able to move the end of the release rod lever 1/32 to 1/16 inch from fully open before the clutch spring pressure resists the lever movement.

Source: http://ironheadsportster.com/tech_tips.html

The following users liked this post:
Cy Sulak (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Cy Sulak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 Heritage Softail Classic. Prior to changing the primary fluid, I had no clutch issues. After changing the fluid (with the HD primary fluid), I'm experiencing slippage in the clutch. There was no 'debris' or any metal filings caught by the magnet. I've made sure the clutch adjustment is according to specs. I may have 'overfilled' the level (32oz, instead of the recommended 26oz). Can that cause the clutch to slip? Is there a better fluid to use to help the clutch lock up? I should mention the bike has 20,000 miles on it, not ridden hard, and no issues up til now. Could it just be time for clutch replacement?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:32 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Cy Sulak
I have a 2004 Heritage Softail Classic. Prior to changing the primary fluid, I had no clutch issues. After changing the fluid (with the HD primary fluid), I'm experiencing slippage in the clutch. There was no 'debris' or any metal filings caught by the magnet. I've made sure the clutch adjustment is according to specs. I may have 'overfilled' the level (32oz, instead of the recommended 26oz). Can that cause the clutch to slip? Is there a better fluid to use to help the clutch lock up? I should mention the bike has 20,000 miles on it, not ridden hard, and no issues up til now. Could it just be time for clutch replacement?
Start with the fluid level, it should just come up to the bottom of the clutch plates with the bike in the up right position.

The following users liked this post:
Cy Sulak (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Cy Sulak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a shot when I get home tonite. I'm positive it's overfilled......

Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

This is where I fill mine to with bike upright, not on side stand.

'06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H BR 2-2, K&N AC, P&P Heads

Attached Thumbnails  Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches.-image-1715161262.jpg